See It Through

The sun retreated by Monday but the Cullens were apparently still on their camping trip as none of them were at school. The most interesting thing that happened was Eric nearly passing out as they were blood typing in Biology. Tyler had to bring him to the school nurse but he was back to his usual cheery self by lunch time. And this was proven as he was talking to his camcorder, ranting about blood types.

"When will we ever need to know our blood types anyway?" Eric said. "Does all this information go to a secret government data base so they can know which humans will need to be harvested for nefarious purposes?"

"Someone's been marathoning The X-Files again," Jessica rolled her eyes when Eric pointed the camera at her. "It's important to know blood types in case of an accident and you will need a blood transfusion or so you can donate blood."

Eric turned the camera to the rest of the table and asked, "Do any of us donate blood?"

Angela, Tyler, and Mike all raised their hands.

"Even if we're underage?"

"Parental consent," Tyler explained. "And my mom's a nurse. She usually helps with the blood drives."

"Well, it's nice to know that if Dracula ever comes to Forks that he'll have willing victims," Eric flipped the camera back to himself. "Hope you like Type O, Big D."

Dinner at the Weber household was always spent as the time to catch up on each other's day. Her mother talked about her Book Club and this murder mystery novel by an upcoming new writer they were all engrossed with. Her father discussed getting a new teacher for their church's Sunday school. The twins talked about their classmates. And Angela gave them a summary of lunch time with her friends.

All of it was ordinary. Angela helped clean up as her mother got the twins ready for bed. She just finished with the dishes when the house phone rang. Pulling off the gloves, she tossed them on the counter before running to get the wireless phone from its base. It showed an unknown number.

Warily, she pressed answer. "Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Angela?" The voice sounded familiar. "This is Jacob. From La Push."

"Oh hi!" She tried to push down her excitement. "How are you?"

"I'm good. How about you?"

"I'm good," She looked to see if anyone was listening but her family were all getting ready for bed. She made her way to her bedroom and shut the door quietly behind her. "I'm glad you called."

"I would've called you yesterday but I was busy with some stuff with my friends. Really boring and you don't wanna hear about that," He laughed, awkwardly. "I was hoping to see you this weekend. Are you doing anything?"

She wanted to say no and that they could run off into the sunset together but she also promised Lauren and Jessica weeks ago that they would go dress shopping at Port Angeles for Homecoming. She explained it to Jacob who sounded disappointed but understanding.

"How about Sunday?"

"I have church choir," She sighed. "I'm really sorry. I'm not trying to blow you off."

"Don't sweat it. We'll have our time, Ang," She could almost hear his smile through the phone. "Save this number and call me whenever you're free and you can make me that amazing soup again."

She closed her eyes and lied down on her bed, willing her face to stop burning. "If you're good, I'll even bake you bread."

He laughed and it was a deep, rumbly sound that did silly things to her insides. "And if I'm bad?"