Eat Pray Love

Jacob looked exhausted on Thursday night. He changed into her dad's old clothes and stumbled into her bedroom, collapsing face first on her bed. She reached over and ran her fingers through his hair. He sighed and turned his head so he could see her.

"How was your day, dear?" She asked, the question now becoming standard between them. "You look like you had a long day."

"The pack and the communal mental talks aren't fun," He muttered. "Alpha Sam is getting married soon and his ex, Leah, is now in full-bitch mode and keeps bringing up shit none of want to remember."

"Who's Leah?"

"Our lone she-wolf," He answered. "And Sam's girlfriend before he became a werewolf and imprinted on her cousin."

He spoke frequently about his pack and she knew his two friends, Quill and Embry, and of course, the Alpha, Sam Uley. He hadn't mentioned there was a girl in the pack or the very complicated history between that girl and Sam. If Leah was forced to share her headspace with her ex, maybe there was a valid reason she was being difficult. She knew firsthand how awful it was to have her private space invaded even if Edward had no control over his abilities.

"Why do you think she's a...bitch?"

"She just is, literally," At her disappointed look, he sighed. "She can't get over Sam moving on and she's mean to everyone."

"And how long were she and Sam dating?"

Jacob thought about it for a moment before answering, "They started dating in high school so around three years."

"Three years is not insignificant for a relationship. She must've loved him," She reasoned. "And then out of nowhere your boyfriend becomes a werewolf and he probably didn't tell you his secret and now he claims he's in love with your cousin."

Jacob nodded. "Yeah. That's sounds about right."

"Imagine what it would be like to be her. You care about this person and it seems like they care about you. Suddenly you're thrown away like you're nothing," She said. "Without an explanation, they just leave you and it's over. And you're supposed to be okay and not be angry."

"Are we still talking about Leah?" Jacob sat up and reached over to hold her hand but she pulled away. "Look, I get that you cared about Cullen but being him was dangerous."

"How?" She felt like defending Edward. Jacob never knew him and while she wasn't blind to Edward's flaws and his abandonment still stung, she did still care about him. "He wasn't this unfeeling monster."

"Maybe not," Jacob conceded, begrudgingly. "But he was an immortal, Angela. And there's only one way you could be with an immortal."

To become one. It had been a conversation she and Edward danced around. He had hinted at his real age and they both knew that their relationship would have a time limit. Humans only lived for so long while vampires lived a great deal longer. They never spoke about it because Angela knew what her answer would've been.

She would've said no. She loved being human for all its downsides and futility. She loved her family and her friends. She loved cooking and food and sunlight. She would have to give up so much for immortality and it wasn't a price she was willing to pay.

"I suppose you're right," She sighed and the defeat weighed heavier than she liked. "Maybe him ghosting me was for the best."

Not the ghosting. He could've given her a proper goodbye. He knew she wouldn't have been okay with being treated like this. He could read her damn mind. Yet he did it anyway and that proved more about Edward Cullen's cowardice than anything else.