Eighteen Candles

Mr. Monroe wasn't in class and they had to have a sub for that day. They were paired into groups of three to discuss one of Shakespeare's sonnets. Angela ended up paired with Ben and Katie much to her amusement. In another world, she might've felt chagrined or wistful but she was genuinely happy for the couple who seemed to get along very well. She could even laugh at how she had pined for Ben Chenney in what felt like a lifetime ago.

"No longer mourn for me when I am dead," Ben recited. "That you shall hear the surly sullen bell."

Ben had a nice voice. It sounded clear and he almost soft in how he pronounced vowels. It had been something she liked about him. She liked this calm and easiness to him. With his glasses and anime shirts, he was achingly normal and familiar.

"Give warning to the world that I am fled," Katie continued the next line. "From this vile world with vilest worms to dwell."

Katie's voice was higher pitched and softer, almost like a little girl's. It suited her somewhat as she was petite and delicate in a way Angela had always wanted to be. She had honey blonde and big blue eyes and looked like a princess in a Disney movie. Angela could see why Ben was so smitten.

"Remember not the hand that writ it, for I love you so," Angela read. "That I in your sweet thoughts would be forgot."

"I think it's pretty simple, isn't it?" Katie asked. "He's asking not to be mourned by someone he loves."

"It's kinda morbid," Ben remarked. "Talking about your hypothetical death. I would find it distressing if someone started talking about that to me."

"Nobody really wants to think about their own mortality, especially of the people they care about," Angela agreed. "But we can't really avoid it. It's part of living."

"Yes, the age old relationship between life and death," Ben nodded. "You can't really talk about one without the other."

"But it's unrealistic for someone to ever ask you not to mourn them," Katie argued. "As if we can just turn off our emotions and not grieve. I certainly wouldn't be able to just move on if...if I ever lost someone."

"I think it's because once we're dead, we don't have to worry about the aftermath," Angela reasoned. "Grieving is for the living and the dead don't take part it in."

"Shakespeare was getting old when he wrote this," Katie added. "Perhaps he couldn't help think about his own end."

"Yeah, this is still really morbid," Ben laughed. "What happened to the sonnets about love and subtle innuendos?"

They all laughed before continuing their discussion of the rest of the sonnet.

During lunchtime, her friends were talking about the Homecoming game on Friday and the dance the next day. And this eventually led to Angela being asked who was going to be her date.

"Are you taking He-Man as your date?" Jessica asked. "I have this feeling he would look amazing in a suit."

Mike with a mouthful of a bologna sandwich, questioned, "Who's He-Man?"

"Jacob," Angela answered. "The guy from La Push?"

"The guy with the muscles?" Mike flexed his arms for emphasis. "I thought you weren't interested."

"Oh, she's interested," Lauren smirked at her as she finished her fruit cup. "Really interested."

Angela was blushing and she glared at Lauren to stop talking. If there was anybody who would start oversharing to torture her, it would be Lauren Mallory. Eric turned on his camera and pointed it to her. She tried to cover her burning face with a hand.