You, Me, and Seth

Lunch was eventful. It was mostly Angela's mother asking Jacob about his life and his interests. Her father quietly ate and seemed to be in a state of denial that Angela finally brought a boy home regardless if it was intentional or not. Her brothers kept trying to test Jacob's dinosaur knowledge which was surprisingly vast as apparently he also had a dinosaur obsession as a child.

Angela was trying to make sense of what was happening to her life. Her mother finally included her in the conversation by asking how she and Jacob met.

"At the beach at La Push," She answered. "About a month ago."

"Actually, Ang, we met two years ago," He corrected, smiling. "You probably don't remember. I was a skinny fourteen year old."

"You're only sixteen?" Her mother questioned. "You look older."

"Growth spurt just hit me over the summer," He laughed nervously. "It runs in the family."

Her mother's eyes brightened as she remembered something. "Wait. Are you Billy Black's son?"

Jacob nodded.

"And that would make you Sarah Wilde's son too. I knew you looked familiar," Her mother's smile became gentler and she patted him on the hand. "I went to college with your mother. She was very kind and a talented painter."

She hadn't known his mother had passed away. Or that their mothers had known each other. Jacob was smiling but he was clearly tense. She reached under the table and held his hand. He squeezed her hand and shot her a grateful smile.

Her mother became flustered. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, Jacob."

"It's okay. It's nice to talk about her sometimes," He reassured her. "And she was a great painter. We still have some of her artwork at the house and my older sister, Rebecca, took after her."

"You didn't inherit her talent?"

"No. I'm more of a car guy like my dad," He laughed wryly. "I can't draw to save my life."

Angela added. "I can't draw either except for stick figures."

It was true. Mike was the artist and they had a silent pact to work together for school projects. Mike would draw and paint and she would write the report. It was a partnership that had worked for them for years.

Her mother continued to ask more questions and by the time lunch was over, Angela was quietly apologizing to Jacob for her mother's behavior. Anna Weber had waited too long for her daughter to have a boyfriend and was very transparent about it. Jacob asked permission to take Angela out for a day. As friends, he emphasized at Anna's too pleased grin. She made him promise to have her daughter back before ten.

Jacob's idea of how to get from town to La Push was for him to shift to his wolf form and let her ride him like a furry horse. She outright refused. His second idea was to call one of his friends to drive to Angela's house in Jacob's car and pick them up. And sometime later, Embry Call pulled up in her driveway in the Rabbit.

Jacob stopped at the door of the driver's seat when he saw who was at the back seat. A boy about thirteen years old was there, looking like a mini version of Jacob. He smiled at Angela when he saw her. She smiled back and tried to figure out why he felt familiar.

"Seth," Jacob sounded exasperated. "Why are you here?"

"Well, I didn't know where you were and Sam said you were gonna mentor me," Seth replied. "And you can't mentor me if I'm not with you."