Mr. Blue Sky

Tyler couldn't give her a ride on Friday since he had a dentist appointment. Eric had to stay behind to work on the school newspaper. Luckily for Angela, football practice was cut short due to the coach's family emergency and that freed Mike to give her a ride. Mike's car was one of the newer cars in town, a red Toyota Corolla that he took great care of. It had really good heating which she appreciated.

"I forgot that you are always cold," Mike said. "Maybe you should move to the West Coast, Angie."

"And leave you behind, Mikey?" Angela shook her head. "Never."

She realized how much she missed him. It had been some time since she and Mike hung out by themselves. Angela and Mike spent many summers together growing up as their dads were best friends and brought them camping or to the beach. Their mothers were also good friends and were in the same Book Club so Angela came over a lot to play video games with Mike.

"It's been a while since it was just the two of us," He remarked. "I don't think we've hang out like this since..."

Since before high school rolled around and they were both too busy. The trips to La Push were the most they would see each other. It made her sad. She always made time for Lauren and Jessica. She couldn't believe she didn't even notice. Then again, if anything she'd learned after finding out about the Cullens, she missed a lot of things.

"Let's hang out," She offered. "It's Friday and I don't have any plans. Unless you have a date?"

"There is no girl more important to me than you, Angie." Then he added, "Except maybe Megan Fox."

"Michael Newton!" She slapped him on the arm. "You are such a jerk."

"You love me," He laughed. "Let's get to the diner. I'm in the mood for some burgers."

After finishing off some greasy burgers at Sully's, Mike suggested taking the nearly hour long drive to the Hoh Rainforest so they could see the Hall of Mosses. Their fathers had taken them camping there a few times and Mike still remembered the trail to their favorite spot. Mike even had a few camping supplies in the trunk of his car as his father had raised him to be ready for practically anything. He grabbed a flashlight and a bottle of water but left the tent.

Angela was glad she opted to wear the sturdy boots her mom gave her for Christmas as they walked over tree roots and around fallen trees. Along the main trail were the giant maple trees with hanging moss that many tourists loved to take photos of. The Hall of Mosses had an eerie beauty as if it was untouched by time and the world outside of it. They stood and stared up at the trees and they could've been nine years-old-again and pretending they were in an enchanted forest filled with magical creatures.

"Remember when we used to be so scared of this place?" Mike's tone was nostalgic. "We used to think a witch lived in these woods and she wanted to bake us into cookies."

They had obviously read Hansel and Gretel too many times.

"Your dad told us that if we were bad children that the fairies would take us away," She smiled fondly. "That was messed up."

"It really was," Mike agreed, chuckling. "I had nightmares about fairies coming to kidnap me."

"And I told you I would rescue you."

He snorted. "Yeah, Angie, I'm sure you could fight off the mean fairies."

"Hey!" She tried to smack him in the arm but he dodged her. "I would've saved you!"

"Or we'd both be captured and have to live the rest of our lives in this forest," He sighed but it was wistful as he stared at the trees again. "Not really a bad place to be stuck."