Daylight

Angela closed her eyes, tears streaming down her face as Maria's cold breath touched her neck. She was unable to move, Maria's stronger grip on her arm prevented her from escaping. Fear and adrenaline made her heart beat faster and she felt lightheaded. From the distance, she could faintly hear the music coming from the school gym and knew that she wasn't the only one in danger.

They could go and kill everybody in the school and nobody would be able to fight back. The only ones she could think of to be able to have a chance would be the Quileute pack. Where was Jacob? He said he was going to be there.

She let out a frustrated exhale as Maria moved her hair away from her neck, the sharp edge of her nails digging into the soft flesh of her pulse. He promised her he would be there. He promised her he was only going to be a little bit late. And now she was going to die and not be able to tell him off for being so unreliable.

"Angela!" Lauren's voice called out. "Are you here?"

She opened her eyes in shock and stared at Maria in horror. "Please, don't."

She'd left without telling any of her friends and even dropped her phone when James took her. Lauren must've known something was wrong and came to find her. Was she alone? Her friend had no idea what danger she just put herself in.

James smiled excitedly and moved to find Lauren when the blonde burst through the line of trees. Her friend froze and her eyes immediately went to Angela's terrified face. Lauren was always so brave. Angela couldn't help the relief at not being alone anymore but pure terror that now they were both going to die.

Lauren asked warily, "Angela, what's going on?"

"James," Maria crooned. "Why don't you go say hello?"

The vampire moved so fast Lauren had no time to react. She gasped and tried to move away but he grabbed her by her arms and pulled her uncomfortably close. She tried to pull away to no avail. He bared his teeth to bite her but paused. His expression was curious as he took a deep inhale of her scent.

"That's odd," He said. "You smell incredibly familiar."

Maria was becoming impatient. "Finish her. We have other more important things."

"I know, my love," He replied, eyes still on Lauren's terrified but angry gaze. "Did I ever tell you when Laurent and I were in Siberia?"

"What about Siberia?"

"I was chasing this scent. I obsessed over it, chased it through the countryside," His hand moved up to tangle in Lauren's hair, undoing the up-do so the blonde strands fell to her shoulders. He sniffed at a blonde lock with that same curious expression. "I didn't catch it but Laurent later called it something – loup garoux."

Angela had been taking French as an elective for years and could get the basic gist of the word. Werewolf. Lauren was visibly shaking and slapped his hand away making him let go of her hair. She was glaring murder at him.

"Let me go now," She bit out gravely. "Or I swear I will kill you and your girlfriend."

James chuckled. "I like your spirit."

"Nagual," Maria shook her head. "And I thought we just had the shape shifters to deal with. Kill her quick before she can transform."

"Full moon's been up for hours," He remarked. "I don't think she can transform yet."

"Werewolf or not, she's a distraction."

"Alright, alright," James almost rolled his eyes. He sighed as he patted Lauren's face wryly. "Sorry, pretty one."