Planting Roots

"A tree with
Strong roots
Laughs at storms."
-Malay Proverb

After Mia finished cleaning up the dinner dishes, Connor, Cole and Chase said they had something serious to ask her about. She felt a little worried wondering what it could be. Mia went to their bedroom to see what they wanted.
"Hey so what's up?" Mia asked leaning on the door frame to their room.
"Come sit Mia," Connor said patting a spot right next to him.
Mia bit her lip and sat down. Connor wrapped his arm around her for comfort and Mia leaned into him.
"Mia, there is a detective in town until tomorrow. He was wanting to meet with you to discuss your safety." Cole said squatting down in front of Mia.
"We won't make you go but it might be a good idea to go meet him," Chase told her. He was sitting in a chair across the room.
"Is that who told you everything you knew about me?" Mia asked.
"Yeah, he was the guy from the grocery store a couple days ago." Connor informed.
"Well if y'all think it's a good idea then I guess." Mia thought for a second. "Will y'all be there with me?"
"Oh course we will, I think this is the right thing to do so we can learn of what actions to take and maybe he can help you with a new identity." Connor stated.
"Okay, then let's go." Mia said standing up.
"Alright, he is staying at the motel just outside of town. He said to just show up and he will be waiting." Chase said following Mia's lead.

Chase drove, Connor road shotgun and Mia sat in the back cuddling against Cole. She held her head against his chest, listening to the steady rhythm of his heart beating. She let it drown out the world. Listening to it 'thump, thump, thump.' It was an anchor for her, keeping her from getting lost in thought and letting doubts take over. Mia wanted to be strong the way her men were strong for her.

Mia was so focused on Cole's heart beat that she didn't realize they had stopped. Connor got out of the truck and went to one of the motel rooms and knocked. The man from the store poked his out and exchanged a couple words. Connor was soon walking back to the truck and climbed back in.

"Says we should go to where we talked last time, he doesn't trust talking here. He says you never know who's listening." Connor informed.
Chase gave a nod and took off towards the empty lot they met in last time.

Cole was helping Mia out of the truck when the same little car pulled up and the man got out.

"Hello Mary Sanders, I'm Henry Tucker" the man said as he approached with an out stretched hand.
Mia hesitated but took his hand and gave a shake.
"Please call me Mia now," she said wrapping her arms around Cole.
The man gave a nod in agreement.
"Well I feel like the best way to protect you is to inform you about all that I know about your father and fiancé," Henry started to pull out folders.
"Ex fiancé." Mia corrected.
Henry gave an apologetic look. He opened two files with pictures of her father and Vince. In the pictures Vince was talking to some sketchy men, some of them she recognized as the men the cops showed her photos of when she was still with Vince. Mia seen photos of her father counting money and naked women laying on the floor bond and gaged. Vince getting into a car and someone holding a large duffel bag and an assault rifle. Mia looked away not being able to handle the thought of how clueless she was and how much danger she had truly been in.
"Your father and Vince run drugs but they mainly deal in human trafficking." Henry said not looking away from the photos.
"Human trafficking?" Mia asked not really sure what it meant. This made Henry look up at her.
"Yes, they buy and sell women and children on the black market. Some are bought for slavery and some are bought for darker things. Your father sold you to Vince McGregor. Did you know that?" Henry asked, Mia shook her head and held tighter onto Cole.
"Vince paid a million dollars to your father. And now your father is paying people like me, to find you and bring you back. You are lucky I found you before one of the others did. I'm an undercover detective. Building a case against your father and Vince. I believe your best bet is to stay off the radar long enough for us to build up evidence and lock them up." Henry shrugged, "the only problem is we don't know when that will be."