eighteen

nick's eyes slowly fluttered open, and he brought a hand up to rub his eye, all of the memories from the previous night flooding back into his head.

he groggily smiled, looking down at the sleeping girl laying on his bare chest.

her hair framed her head like a halo, and her mouth was slightly open. she looked so peaceful.

she truly was. she would be waking up next to the boy she loved on the first day of the year.

he smiled, kissing her forehead softly and just laying next to her in content. "i love you." he whispered to her, and though she was asleep, he knew she'd feel those words.

he sighed, looking over at the clock. eleven twenty-one in the morning. her parents would be home soon, if they weren't already, and he knew that there was a mess downstairs.

he slowly tried to wiggle out of her grasp, but she only held onto him tighter.

"stay." she whispered in her sleepy voice, her eyes were still closed as she cuddled up to him more.

"we gotta clean the house, sage." he chuckled at her, but she pouted and shook her head. "we'll do it later."

she climbed over him so that she was straddling his waist. she looked down at him for a second, before laying back down on his chest.

"you make me so happy, nick."

he smiled to himself, rubbing her back. she was wearing his shirt from last night, which was already over sized on him, so it looked incredibly big on her and it was cute.

"i like my shirt on you."

"i do too." she said, playing with the boy's chain. "it's like a constant hug from you."

he laughed. "that was so cheesy."

"i guess that's what we are." she smirked.

"what? cheesy?" nick asked and she nodded, leaning down and kissing him on the lips. "yep."

"i love you." she said to him and he looked up at her with a blank stare.

it scared her a bit. "oh shit. i'm sorry, you probably-"

"i'm kidding, sage." he laughed and put his hands on her waist. "i love you more." he smiled, and she sighed of relief, slapping his chest softly. "you're such an asshole."

"sage! nick! we're home!" his mom shouted up to the two, and sage was confused how they knew he was here and also scared they would be mad at her for having him stay the night without any permission.

"nick isn't here, mom!" she shouted back, getting up to put some shorts on and give nick a shirt from his drawer of clothes in her house.

"his car is here? did he return it? did you guys not get back together last night? i thought that was the whole point of the party-"

"he's here mom, i was kidding!" she facepalmed, turning red in embarrassment. he laughed at her as she stuffed her face in the crook of his neck.

"stop." she whined elongating the "o". he kissed her all over her face. "c'mon, we should get up. like for real." she said, getting up and opening her door.

they walked downstairs to the mess of a living room. there were cups everywhere and food wrappers.

she walked to her kitchen, giving her mom and dad a hug and nick stood there awkwardly. it had been a while since he'd seen them.

"hello, nick. we missed you." his mom said, going in for a hug.

"how are you?" she asked. "i'm very good." he replied.