twenty

a/n: i do be at 11k reads doe 😳

nick was where he loved to be most; with sage.

he was sitting on her bed with gianna in his arms as sage lie next to him, pretending to sleep. he was quietly singing to his little sister in an attempt to get her to sleep. she was always uneasy the first couple of weeks of the year. she wanted to be with her mom and her mom only, but she was a working woman, so nick would have to do.

sage smiled to herself. nick would only sing if he thought she couldn't hear. he was still embarrassed and it was quite precious.

there was no need to be embarrassed. she loved his voice. it was so smooth and pretty and she could listen to it for days on end without ever getting tired of it.

if he stopped being so embarrassed about it, she could even see him having a career in singing. that's how good he was.

she was partially grateful that he was so secretive about his passion for singing. as selfish as it may sound, it was something that she knew about nick that no one else did. it was like their little secret; one that wouldn't do damage to their entire friend group. and if nick's voice got out to the world, she'd have to share her gem with the entire world. she wasn't ready for it.

nick stopped singing and looked down at the two 'sleeping' girls in front of him. they were his girls.his everything. he'd protect them from this world if it killed him. (how cruel would it be if dis book ended w this nigga dying lmao)

he had an hour to take a nap before he had to take gianna home and then get their date ready.

it was a bit out there, but he actually had rented a hot air balloon for him and sage. he had a picnic planned in the sky.

and he was going to formally ask her to be his girlfriend.

he looked down at the promise ring she'd given him and smiled. he was going to marry sage kaylin love.

it seemed cliche but there were truly no words to describe the admiration and love he had for her. none at all.

it was hard to fathom how accidentally stumbling into her room at a party led to this indescribable feeling.

the intimacy, the adulation. he was obsessed.

healthy obsessed, of course, but sage was an ice cold glass of water in the middle of the sahara.

she was the breath of fresh air right after being trapped in a house fire.

she was the healing for nick after he'd been damaged by his father.

and when it boiled down to it, not only was she everything; she was the only thing.

she was the one single specimen in this world, sent down from the heavens and placed right into the arms of nick mara.

and he dozed off, thinking about how truly lucky he was to be so certain of someone when his own father couldn't even be certain of him.

he woke up to an alarm. gia had crawled over to lay next to sage, who was looking at him.

"hey, did the alarm wake you?" he asked her in a groggy voice, looking her in the eyes.

"no, i was just looking at how pretty you are." she cackled.

"i told you to stop calling me pretty, handsome ass little boy." nick joked to her, making her pout.

he leaned over to kiss her frown away, like she knew he would. "i love you." he mumbled, and she returned it immediately.