Chapter 5

I don't own KHR. KHR is owned by Akira Amano. The only thing that's mine is my oc. Enjoy!

-----

Early in the morning, before the sun rises, I wake up to Tsuna curled around me. Slowly maneuvering out of his iron grip, I stuff a pillow in the area I was. I watch as he grasps it unconsciously and tightly holds it in his arms. 

I slowly slide my way silently off the bed, landing with a silent thump. I need to check on Mom. I was in shock yesterday, but today I need to see if she does or doesn't remember. I shift from walking and crawling as I slowly make my way over to Mom's room.

I scowl as I make my way over, the falls hurting my pride. Well, I'm going to have to get better at walking.

At the side of Mom's bed, I lightly tug on her sheets. She doesn't wake up. Strange. Normally when I tug on her sheets she wakes up immediately. Trying again, I pull harder on her sheets. Mom is still not awake. A small nagging fear grows in the back of my mind. My intuition was whispering to me. She has lost herself. She doesn't know. She doesn't remember. She has lost herself.

This is the one time where I want my intuition to be wrong. I shake the sheets. No. It can't be. I have progressed from tugging on the sheets to basically trying to rip them from the bed. Licking my lips, I desperately call out, the word slowly getting clearer, "Mun, mon, mam, mam, mom. Mom. Mom. Mom."

My desperate chant finally wakes Mom up. She blinks her bleary eyes at me. Registering what has just happened, she starts giggling. "Oh, Yuki, you've finally said something? You were making me worry."

I stare deep into her eyes before attempting to say one word. "Maa-fia. Mafia"

She giggles innocently again, "Yuki, where'd you learn that word?"

My heart seems to stop beating at that moment. Her eyes. They were shallow, nothing like Mom's deep, mysterious, sharp eyes. In my desperation to deny the inevitable, I tug off the sheets. She finally sits upright, and swings her legs over to the side. She has lost herself.

Tilting her head she asks, "What's wrong, Yuki? Did you have a bad dream?"

No longer talking, I rush forward and hug her leg. Perhaps she doesn't remember, but it'll be fine. I'll protect her. I glance up, memorizing her face, I'll protect her.

Gushing in a baby voice, she said, "Oh, Yuki, you're so adorable. I bet you woke up Mama to tell her that you can speak. You're so cute!"

She swings me up into the bed. I silently protest, sliding back down the bed. I start my slow, wobbly trek toward my room as Mom follows me. She watches as I point to Tsuna, who was sleeping peacefully, holding a pillow.

 Finally getting my message, she picks up both Tsuna, who murmurs sleepily while still clutching the pillow, and me and easily carried both of us back to her bed. 

I lay there curled up with my favorite people. Closing my eyes, I listen as Mom's breath evens out and slowly mine do as well. Enveloped in the soft fluffy blanket I curl a bit closer to my family and fall asleep.

-----

Groggily, I sit up. Tsuna, feeling the disturbance, turns around to face me, wide awake. Mom was still asleep at our side. He smiles widely and starts to say my name, the only word he can say. "Yuuki. Yu-ki. Yukii. Yu-ki. Yuki. Yuki."

Playfully, I respond, "Tsuuna. Tsu-na. Tsunaa. Tsu-na. Tsuna. Tsuna."

By then Mom is awake and is again giggling at our antics. "Oh, you two, sillies. Come on, lets go make breakfast."