Part 15

News of my brothers defeat had travled fast that the Witchers from Kaer Morhen had heard about it

News of my brothers defeat had travled fast that the Witchers from Kaer Morhen had heard about it. Lambert, Vesemir and Ragnar and a few other ones had traveled to Cintra to attend the funeral. Orange, yellow and red hues melted together like wax in the sky as I peered out the castle window.

"Leave the armor off. The others will take it back home. He may have started his life as a monster hunter, but he will not end that way." I told the maidens who were finishing up the casket. The maidens nodded, Vesemir gripping my shoulder.

"It is time." The elder Witcher spoke softly.

I nodded, my heart filled heavily with grief as us four picked up the casket and walked solemly into the chilly night air. The queens guards made a line on either side, a bard playing a slow, sad tune on his lute.

Us four remaining Witchers slowly set my brothers casket into the deep hole that was dug prior. When the casket was set down, we four grabbed a handul of dirt and tossed it upon the glossy wood. The guards handed us each a bow and arrow, lighting the arrow head on fire as we aimed at the wooden box. Flames engulfed it as we sealed his fate.

"I will say a few words." Vesemir sighed solemly. I nodded, stepping back into the small crowd and stood next to Yennefer.

"You look beautiful." I kissed the side of her head.

Yen grabbed my hand and squeezed, "Thank you. You look rather dashing even in your armor."

I cracked a small smile as Vesemir wiped the tears from his eyes, letting Lambert say a few words.

"You smell nice too."

"Y/n!" Yen nudged my shoulder as she laughed quietly, "We're at a funeral."

"Well you smell nice at this funeral." I shrugged. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her olive cheeks heat up as she tried to hold back a smile.

Soon it was my turn to speak when Ragnar was done. Clearing my throat, I stepped in front of the grave.

"While we didn't come from the same mother or father, Geralt was my brother regardless. He was my friend, my teacher, my family. He never liked war, said that if he had to choose between two evils that he refused to choose. He was a man wise beyond his years and should be standing here today, drinking ale with me till the morning and rolling his eyes at my stupid jokes. Geralt accepted me for all my flaws, and I will be forever gratful for being able to know this man... the true Geralt of Rivia and not just the Witcher everyone sees. I love you, white wolf. Until we meet again in the afterlife."

...

Tossing my head back, I chugged down my fifth cup of ale as Lambert, Ragnar, Vesemir and I sat around a table in the inn.

"Will you be joining us on our voyage back, wolf?" Vesemir asked.

I shook my head, making eye contact with Yennefer who had just walked in.

"No, I think I shall stay awhile."

Ragnar groaned, "Don't tell me you're sleeping with a sorceress."

"Then I won't tell you." I smirked at the blonde witcher who kept his hair in a long braid.

"Yeah, well have fun bedding her. I'm going to burn down that vampire coven. Something you should have done a long fucking time ago." Lambert spat, slamming his cup of ale down.

"Lambert, don't." Vesemir warned.

"Lambert, I suggest you bite your tongue." I glared, already knowing where this was going to go.

"No! I'm not going to stay quiet about this. I told you it wasn't a good idea to be trading with those bloodsuckers! I told you we should have burned down their coven from the start, and now look whats happened. Geralt is dead... and it's your fault." The shaven haired man shook his head, downing another gulp of his ale as I stood up from the table.

"Now you've done it." Ragnar mumbled.

I marched over towards Lambert and picked him up by the collar of his armor and slammed him against the wooden pillar.

"Say that again, Lambert." I hissed.

"You heard me, wolf. Geralt is dead because of you."

I growled, cocking my fist back and hitting him square in the jaw. Lambert groaned, moving his head just as I was about to hit him again, my fist hitting the wooden pillar instead. His knee hit me right in the gut, the wind leaving my lungs as he pushed me off him and into the people sitting at the table behind me.

"Lambert, Y/n, enough!" Vesemir yelled but I didn't listen. I tackled Lambert to the ground, each of us throwing punches at one another, blood coating our knuckles.

"I said ENOUGH!"

Two sets of arms pulled me off the slightly younger Witcher as I wriggled to be set free.

"You better watch your back!" The shaven haired witcher sneered as he got up, wiping the blood from his nose.

"The blood moon is coming up again. Better sleep with one eye open." I snapped.

I ripped my arms out of Vesemir and Ragnars hold, grabbing a full cup of ale on my way out of the inn, downing it in one gulp and tossing the cup aside.

"Y/n, wait up!" Yen called as she ran towards me.

"Here we go." I mumbled under my breath as I turned around to face the mage.

"Come on." Yen grabbed my hand without question and led me out of the castle.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

After a few moments we ended up in the forest, a small stream flowing through the thick trees.

"You brought me into the forest?"

Yen nodded, brushing her fingers through the tall grass, "I figured you needed to be away from people for a moment. And while Lambert deserved a good fight, he isn't worth getting dragged away by the guards"

"Thank you."

Yennefer hummed in acknowlegment as we watched a small deer come up and drink from the stream.