Chapter 2: Together by Scars

I can't help myself, I walk over to the girl "Alright everyone it's time to start now, please gather around you can take a seat anywhere in the middle of the room." The therapist announced. With a sigh, I head over to one of the cushie chairs. I look around and there are about a dozen other people sitting in the numerous couches, they all seem to be in their 20's  and it's a pretty even amount of guys and girls.

"Ok everyone, today we are going to be introducing ourselves and telling each other about us and why we are here. I'll start, My name is Aleshia Stewart. I'm 36 years old and I'm from Edinburgh, and I followed my Dad's footsteps by becoming a therapist... Now who would like to go next" she asked. No one did anything so I raise my hand "Umm my name is Aspen Miller I'm 21. I'm from Manchester but I was born in Portsmouth, England and I have two siblings. I'm in therapy because I was in a car accident and someone very close to me died and I had trouble coping". The woman nods and gives me a sympathetic look.

I zone out as everyone else talks, only hearing bits and pieces of what they say as I wondered about that girl. When it's her turn to talk I refocus. "Hi everyone umm my name is Cassie Xavier I'm 21, I'm from France and I'm an only child. I'm in therapy because I have nightmares about when my mom attacked me." She said as she pulled down her turtleneck, showing a long scar on her neck to her collar bone. She seemed to become self conscious because she quickly pulled her turtleneck backup to cover her scar. The last person raised his hand "Hey my name is Oakland David, I'm 22, I have an older brother and I came from France to. Me and Cassie are friends actually. I go to therapy because my dad put a cookie cutter on my hand and cut it when he found out that I had snuck out to go to a cooking class." He said, he takes off a black leather glove from his left hand and we can all see the big round scar on his hand.

After everyone introduced themselves the elderly receptionist comes in with 2 big boxes of doughnuts. Everyone gets up and runs over to get a doughnut. My mouth waters when I see my favorite, Double chocolate with multi colored sprinkles. As I eat my doughnut I walk over to Cassie and sit next to her on the couch. "Hey I'm Cassie." She said, I give her a smile "Aspen". I must be staring because she asks "Do I have frosting on my face?" I shake my head, "No, sorry you just look like someone I knew". She smiles "It's fine". "Alors à quoi ressemble la France?" 'So what's France like?' I ask in French. She looked at me in surprise "Tu parles français?!" 'You speak French?!' She asked. "Oui" 'Yes', I replied. We continue to chat in French as we walk outside and wait for taxis to take us to our hotels. "So do you want to meet up at a coffee shop tomorrow morning, before we come here." I asked. "Of course I would love to!" Cassie exclaims, "Lets take a picture before we leave". I nod and pull out my phone and we take a selfie, "What's your number, so I can send it to you". Cassie pulls my phone out of my hand and types in her number as a new contact. Just as the taxis pulls up she hands me back my phone and we hug before we each get into a taxi.