Chapter 4

Having returned to his companions at the roadside, Leo studied the car they had caught. In its trap, their prey looked much less impressive than in the morning when they had just seen it whooshing by on the highway, faster than a mountain cat. Scratches and dust marred and dulled the vehicle's silver-blue paint. Dents pockmarked its bumpers, stubby nose, and doors. And now it was missing its antenna.

The passengers sat in the front, and the two rows of seats in the back were empty.

"Three of them," Spike said. "Not an adequate revenge for Rose."

"This is not about revenge for... my wife, I've already told you," Leo said. "We've been told to capture them, not kill them." The thought still tempted him, though. The Gaters had killed her just because she had ventured too close to their bloody gated village.

Rose had been searching the Gaters' landfill for something to make a dress of. A child's dress—their daughter Hope was growing quickly.

Subduing the anger clawing its way up his throat, Leo shook his head. "We'll take them captive. Hammer wants us to return with hostages. They're more valuable alive than dead."

"Fine, so let's get them," Flora said. She had her arrow nocked in her bow and took aim at the van, one eye closed, her upper lip lopsided to reveal her pointed teeth.

Leo placed a hand on her weapon, careful not to step in its line of fire. "Dead hostages are no good."

She arched her eyebrows at him. "So you're planning to talk them into surrender? Just by asking nicely?"

"Exactly." At least, he'd give that option a try. "You couldn't crack the car with an arrow, anyway. But if they run, feel free to shoot."

"I hope they'll do that." She grinned.

Leo nodded at her—he wouldn't shed a tear if an arrow pierced a Gater trying to escape.

Leo gestured at one of the men who had waited on the other side of the road. "Rock, you'll come with me."

Rock was the best fighter of their gang, and he looked the part. Taller than anyone else, arms as broad as Leo's legs, tattoos all over his bare chest, and a bearded face that rarely smiled. His mere presence would help the Gaters to see reason.

Rock nodded in acknowledgment.

Leo looked at the other members of the group. "The rest of you, just stay here. Look fierce and ready to kill."

The order made Flora smile. "No problem there! I am fierce and ready to kill."

She also looked the part.

Hawk and Bolt, the twins, both readied their bows. Their weapons were smaller than Flora's, but the two men were master shots. "As you say," Hawk said.

They were six. And the Gaters in that car counted only three.

"If they hurt you, bro, they're dead meat," Flora said. "I'll make sure of that. Lit'rally. Hostages or not. But still, be careful."

"You too," he said. Even though smart, her hot temper tended to get her into trouble. "Keep your distance."

Motioning at Rock, he turned towards the car.

The three passengers had their eyes on them as Leo and Rock approached. Two were youngish. A man and a woman. She—pale-skinned and biting her lips—watched Leo with big eyes. Short, and thin as a twig, she didn't look like a threat. The man at her side, though, had broad shoulders and glowered as if eager to pick a fight.

The third passenger had streaks of silver in his copper beard. His face was impassive. As they got closer, he shifted in his seat and held up a dark, metallic object.