Chapter 34

Leo and his companions had headed straight for the bridge and had reached it before noon, finding the guardhouse on it deserted. The two guards that were usually stationed there must have fled or gone to check out the depot when the explosions had thundered over the city.

They hadn't seen them. And Leo didn't care. All he wanted were Beth and Burt.

"If you ask me, they've already crossed the bridge." Spike spat through the empty window of the bridge house into the moon-logged night outside. "Hiding in this hovel makes no sense at all."

"I haven't asked you," Leo said. "And I don't think they've reached this bridge before us. They're not from here. They don't know their way around the city."

"Okay, then the dogs have gotten them. Or the tunnel clan. Or both."

That was more plausible. Even not knowing the city, they should have found the river sooner or later. And then, finding the one intact bridge wouldn't have been that hard.

They should have been here hours ago.

If they were still alive.

Bolt's snore shook the bridge house in its foundations. He and Hawk had hit the bunks with the setting sun.

"Still thinking of that girl, aren't you?" Spike whispered.

Leo welcomed the darkness hiding the warmth flushing his cheeks. "Her lover has almost killed me, so why should I think of her?"

Spike snorted. "Well, Rose has been dead for a year now, and you're nothing but a man. We're driven, all of us..." He stood and stretched. "Anyway, it was a long day, and I'm tired."

"You're right. It makes little sense for both of us to stay awake. You take a nap. I'll take the first shift. Then I'll wake Bolt to do the next one."

"Fine." Spike rose. "And tomorrow, we'll go back."

"You'll go back. I'll have a message to deliver to Seaside." Leo patted the backpack at his side, knowing the letter written by Beth was still safely stowed away there.

"You're sure about that? They'll shoot a couple of holes through your head at first sight long before you can even give them that message. Or they'll capture you to have a hostage of their own."

Leo couldn't help but nod. These were likely outcomes. But he had no other options. He had let the prisoners escape. It had all been his fault. And Hammer would never forget that—unless he could pull his plan off and trade weapons for non-existent hostages.

He needed Hammer's support. Without it, Grace and Hope wouldn't have a home.

"I'll deliver the letter without them being able to catch me," he said, hoping his doubts did not make it into his voice.

"Right, just be careful and—" Spike froze.

"What's the matter?"

Spike pointed at the window. "There, at the end of the bridge... something's moving."

Spike was right. A figure was approaching along the bridge, crouched low.

Leo grabbed his sword. "Wake the others," he whispered and moved away from the window. He didn't want to alert their visitor that the bridge house wasn't empty.

Spike obliged, and seconds later, they all stood at the open door, still inside the shed. It faced the small passage between the house and the edge of the bridge. They waited, listening to the approaching footfalls.

When the figure finally came into view, Leo recognized his stout frame immediately—Burt.

He stepped out into the moonlight, his sword ready. "Hi, there!"

Burt froze, but only for a second. Then he turned back the way he came and dashed off.

"Wait!" Leo set off in pursuit, running as fast as he could.

The memory of the man threatening Hope, threatening his helpless daughter, fueled Leo's legs. Catching up with him halfway to the bridge's end, he jumped the man's back. They both went down, with Burt beneath him.

Bolt and Spike joined him moments later and pinned Burt's arms, one of them prying the dagger from the gater's hand.

Leo got up. He checked the bridge ahead, hoping to see Beth, yet she wasn't in sight. "Get him up," he said.

Spike and Bolt let go of Burt's arms. Cursing his captors, the man got up. The light wasn't enough to reveal his face, but his crouched stance was filled with anger and the will to fight.

"Damn!" Burt said.

"So, we meet again." Leo stood straight, crossing his arms. "Where's Beth?" he asked.

"She..." Burt hesitated, still breathing quickly. "The dogs... they got her."

Leo took another look towards the head of the bridge, hoping to see her there.

"And you?" Spike pointed the tip of his sword at Burt. "You just ran, leaving your friend behind?"

"There was nothing I could do." Burt wiped his face. "There were so many of the beasts. They attacked, so we ran. And... and when I looked back, she was already down. The whole pack surrounding her." He looked at the ground.

Leo remembered the barking noises they had heard from the city while they had been waiting in the bridge house, in the afternoon. He clenched the hilt of his sword. "Dammit! Why did you two run away? We'd have traded you, nice and fair. She didn't have to die. People like you don't belong in this city."

One well-placed strike would kill the man there and then. Just cut his throat and use his blood to cleanse the bridge, the city. Cleanse it from all the fight and fear and death.

Burt hugged himself, shaking his head slowly, his back against the bridge's railings. "I'm sorry."

The blade of Leo sword shone with cold moonlight. He had raised it without realizing what he was doing.

"Freeze!"

Leo knew the voice in an instant. Beth.

She stood a few steps away from them, both hands on the gun and pointing it straight at Leo. Dark stains marred one of the sleeves of her shirt—his shirt.

There was fight in the woman.

Slowly, Leo lowered the sword.

"Drop your weapons, and then get down on the ground, everyone." Her voice shook—with anger or fear, Leo could not tell. "Now, or I'll put a bullet into you, one by one."

Spike put his sword on the ground.

"There's one problem with your plan, though," Leo said, praying the biker woman had told him the truth.

"And what would that be?"

"You've run out of bullets."