Chapter 39

"This is the one," Eliah said.

They had walked further into the tunnels, finally arriving at a particularly large one. At least twice as high as a man, it led downhill along a gentle slope. They had followed it, and where they stood now, its floor descended into an underground lake.

"The water seeps down from the river." Eliah gestured at the still surface. "It's poisonous but not as bad as the river itself. And, as you've seen, even the river won't always kill you. In particular if you can swim and don't swallow too much of it. Most of the river's evil spirits dwell in the oil at its surface, and there's little of that down here."

The lake continued along the tunnel ahead, losing itself into darkness.

"It crosses beneath the river," Eliah said. "All the other tunnels under the river are flooded. But in this one, the draining seems to be working. Or it used to work when I walked it, some years ago. At that time, the water at its lowest point reached no higher than my knees. After that, the tunnel goes up again, and it takes you to the other side."

"I can come with you, if you want, I've—" Rebecca began, but Eliah stopped her.

"No, you won't go with her. Jael would kill me if I'd let you do that. We've got to say goodbye to our guest at this point." With that, he handed Beth the lantern he had been holding.

It was warm to the touch, with a small candle feeding a weak flame.

"Thanks. I..." She felt reluctant to leave these two. "You have been so kind."

A kindness she didn't deserve.

"Kindness is vanity in disguise." Eliah smiled a wrinkly smile. "Just be careful. We'll wait here for a while in case you have to turn back if the water stands too high to continue. And if you get through, don't forget that the deserts on the other side are not a place to linger. In particular if you happen to head west, cross them quickly." He winked.

Beth nodded. He didn't seem to believe her coming from a hamlet in the North. Avoiding his quizzical gaze, she looked at Rebecca, whose mouth was a thin line.

How would it be to live in a place like this, surrounded by old people?

"Thanks to you, too, Rebecca." Beth felt sorry for her. "I... if I ever come this way again, I'll pay you a visit."

The woman's face lit up. "That would be lovely."

"With the Lord's speed, you go," Eliah said and pointed his stick into the darkness ahead.

Beth turned her back on the two and stepped into the water.

It would be lovely, Rebecca had said. That rang true in a poetic way, but would it ever happen? Beth doubted it.

She didn't look back and continued, treading carefully on the silty, slippery ground. Each step sent ripples ahead. They glittered in the light as they ran away into the unknown.

Beth kept herself in the center of the tunnel, disliking the pockmarked, glistening walls on its sides.

She should have asked Eliah how long it would take her to cross and how to find an exit on the other side. But it was too late for that now.

When the water reached her knees, she stopped. Hadn't Eliah said that this was as deep as it got?

She looked back, but there was only darkness behind her.

A steady dripping of water, as slow as her heartbeat, was the only sound she heard.

Reigning in her fear, she continued.