Chapter 14

The day's events had exhausted Leo, and the last thing he needed was having to deal with his stubborn mother.

"You've got to drink." He pushed the cup into his mother's hands, keeping his voice down because he didn't want to wake up Hope lying in her cot next to them. His daughter had coughed throughout last night, and now she was finally sleeping.

Sitting silently in her armchair, his mother didn't budge. Only her red-rimmed, rheumy eyes moved as they watched him. "I'm sorry 'bout Flora."

She had repeated that sentence again and again after he had reported the events on the highway.

His mother's relation to her daughter had been strained, ever since Flora had moved out of the apartment after one of their frequent shouting matches. But the news of her being wounded must have rattled her.

Still, his mother should drink. He didn't want to worry about her, too.

He was about to lift the cup to her lips when the sound of a door opening stopped him short.

The Gater woman, Beth, stood in the doorway, one hand on the handle, the other on the frame. Skinny legs stuck out from her short, dark skirt. Her shirt-thing had tiny holes in it, symmetric ones, as if placed there for some strange purpose. It was silly and useless, covering only part of her shoulders, and the exposed skin was raw from the fierce sun of the day.

Her gaze was on his mother and on Hope, and her mouth stood open.

Leo placed himself between his family and the intruder. "What is it? What do you want here?" She had no business in this room. No one had, except for his mother, him, Hope, and the memory of his wife.

He had told her to stay put. But, of course, a Gater wouldn't listen. They just did what they wanted and took what they wanted.

"I apologize," she finally said and held up her hands. "I was wondering if I could have some more water." She gestured at a table with the jar.

"Who is she?" His mother asked.

Relieved to hear her change the topic away from Flora, he gestured at the woman. "Her name's Beth."

"And what is she doing here?" His mother leaned forward and squinted at her.

"She's..." He hesitated, but then he decided to tell his mother the truth even though it might upset her. She never failed to pick up his lies. "She's one of the Gaters we caught today."

"A Gater, you say?" She looked at Beth with renewed interest. "Was she the one who..." She swallowed. "The one who shot Flora?"

"No, I told you the killer's dead," Leo said. "Hawk and Bolt put some arrows into him."

She squinted at Beth. "Come closer."

The Gater stepped into the room.

"I'm Grace," she said.

"My name is Beth, madam."

"Madam?" Grace snickered. "You are a Gater."

Beth shrugged. "I live at Seaside. But I suppose a Gater is what you would call me."

Grace nodded. "Yes, Gaters. The people from the gated communities, those who tried to escape the downfall, the chaos. But..." She gestured at Beth. "But you did save some beauty, there." She pointed a shaking finger at Beth. "I like this dress of yours. People wore such clothes back when I was a child." A smile flickered across her face, and she turned her gaze on Leo. "Give her some water. Haven't you heard, she's thirsty."

Feeling silly and scolded, Leo handed Beth the cup he had tried to give to his mother. The woman took it and drank eagerly.

"I'm sorry 'bout Flora." Grace stared at the floor now.