Chapter 23

"She's not at home," Spike said.

"But she should be." Leo rang the bell once more, making its harsh metal voice call out for its owner.

Doc Faith should be in her lair at this time of the day, receiving those in need. That was part of the deal between her and the gangs. The gangs left her in peace as long as she could be found in her lair before sunset, on neutral ground between the territories, and as long as she treated everyone, dressing their wounds, handing out her herbs, and giving advice.

Leo tried the black iron handle of the double door. "It's locked. Let's have a look at the other sides of the building."

Without waiting for further orders, Hawk and Bolt trotted off while Spike and Leo followed at a slower pace.

"I don't like this," Leo said as they reached the corner. "She's always been here for everyone, even when I was a kid."

"The world keeps changing all the time. There's nothing you can take for granted."

Leo shook his head in denial even though he recognized the truth in Spike's words. Change was built into the world, a constant part of life. Because there was no life without birth and death, and there was no greater change than these two.

They just had found the second entrance locked like the first one when Hawk called them from behind the building. He and Bolt had found a way in, a window where the bars had been pried off.

A heap of junk at its base allowed easy access. Spike went in first, and Leo followed next.

It didn't take them long to find Doc Faith.

They just had to follow the string of curse words. It came from the water collector in the inner court.

The ruined water collector.

"Bloody youths, look at what they've done." She gestured at the crumpled foil as she ascended the ladder that Spike hat positioned to help her get out. "The foil's ruined."

"Can't you darn it?" Spike suggested.

"Darn?" She grabbed Leo's outstretched hand and stepped onto the rim. "Boy, you don't have a clue."

"Woman, you don't have respect." Spiked crossed his arms. "I was just trying to be helpful."

"If I need help, I'll tell you, boy. And until then, keep your words to yourself, or your soft parts will need some darning. After I've—"

Leo raised his hands. "Let's be peaceful and concentrate on what matters, everyone. Who has done this, Doc?"

"As I said, they were two youths." She peered down into the pit. "Spike, will you be a good boy and get my pitchfork, please?" She smiled sweetly at him.

"Of course, Doc." He descended the stairs.

Leo sighed—the Doc tended to lose focus. "And what about the youths? How did they look like?"

"It was a boy, almost your age. And a girl, a bit younger. Her name is Beth, and they're from Seaside. From that gated village."

Leo had guessed that much.

"And you should have seen her," Faith continued. "A pretty girl, and she had a fancy dress. But overneath it, she wore a shabby, oversized shirt." She scratched a smear of dried blood on her chin.

"Shabby?" It had been one of his best shirts he had given Beth.

"Yes, all frayed out and in need of a good wash. But, as I said, she's pretty. You might have liked her. You know, you should really—"

"Thanks, Faith." Leo stopped the woman. She kept looking for a new spouse for him, ever since his wife had died. "We know the two. We captured them yesterday, but they ran. We're looking for them. When did they leave?"

Faith shrugged. "An hour or so?" Her face lit up. "Oh, and he has a gun, the boy."

Spike ascended with the pitchfork. "This boy's gonna shoot himself into his foot, one of these days. And if he doesn't do it, I'll do it for him."

"They're bound to run out of bullets, soon." Leo had counted them back when the gun had been his—eight were remaining. "Right now, it's the only thing that keeps them alive out there. Once they've used their rounds up, they won't last long."

Why hadn't that Beth woman stayed? She should have waited for the trade with her people to complete.

Why did everything go to waste?

Spike handed the pitchfork back to the doc. "When we catch them, we'll make them pay for this."

"Yeah." Leo nodded. They would have to pay.

Somehow.

A dog barked in the distance.