Chapter 47

They had set down the chopper in one of the gardens of the stadium, squashing the plants there.

Feeling embarrassed about the havoc they had wrought in these people's harvest, Beth watched the settlement clinging to the stands and the group of villagers that had assembled there.

"They don't look much of a menace." Dan held a rifle in his hands, pointing it in the village's direction.

He was right. Like last time, most of the people in sight were kids or elderly adults. Those trained to fight had probably all gone to the bridge.

A man approached them. He was short, wore a white-red helmet and clothes of the same colors, and held a bat in his hands.

"That's Herb," Beth whispered. "He's kind of a guard here."

"I'm not impressed." Dan grinned. "That guy looks as dangerous as a puppy."

"Hey, whatcha doing here?" Herb's voice was shriller than Beth remembered. He held his bat as if ready to strike them.

"We're paying you a visit," Dan said. "Stop where you are and drop that stick of yours."

"You've gotta leave." Herb didn't stop and advanced towards them. "You've got—"

The shot from Dan's rifle made Herb freeze. For a moment, Beth expected blood to spurt from the guard's chest, but the barrel of the arm pointed upwards—her grandpa had obviously not aimed it at the man.

Herb let go of the bat, and it hit the ground with a soft thud. He raised his hands.

"As you see, we've got weapons. They work, and we won't hesitate to use them. Play nice and do what we say. Then, maybe, just maybe, we won't kill you."

Herb nodded.

"So, lead the way." Dan gestured towards the village.

With another nod, the guard turned and walked ahead.

As they ascended the seatless stands, Beth remembered the last time she had been here—a prisoner then, afraid and helpless. Now that fear had been replaced by shame, seeing herself entering as an invader and a vengeful conqueror. The weapon in her hand gave her the power over the villagers watching the intruders.

One of them was the long-haired villager, the one who had leered at her last time. Now, the lust on his face was gone. This time, she did not close her eyes to shut him out, but she held his stare until he lowered his gaze.

The villagers' number seemed smaller than she remembered. Some might have run when the chopper had landed.

She searched the silent crowd, recognizing a few of the faces but none of the names, except for the pigtailed girl, Starlet. She stood alone, watching the new arrivals with big eyes and an open mouth.

Grace and Hope were not in sight.

They'd best stay hidden in Leo's apartment. There was no need for them to get involved in this.

Dan proceeded to the square at the village center, where Beth had seen Hammer for the first time. There he stopped, aimed his gun at the sky above them, and pulled the trigger.

The noise of the shot rang through the stadium. When its echoes had faded, a baby whined. A skinny, black-haired woman held it in her arms, trying to shush it.

"Listen, everybody," Dan said. "As I told your friend here..." He gestured at Herb, who was wringing his hands, "we've got weapons, and they work. They kill. So, you'd better do what I say. Your folks have just tried to cheat us at the bridge, and I'm in a foul mood. So, if any one of you has any weapons on him or her, deliver them now."

No one moved.

The baby's crying had died down to a whimper.

"Okay, so you've got no weapons, I see." Dan pointed at one end of the square. "Good! Now, everyone, line up there."

Reluctantly, the people did as instructed. A tall, dark-skinned woman with burns and bruises marring her face glowered at Beth as she limped past her, leaning on a stick.

Whitesnake!

She looked so different from the last time Beth had seen her, so frail as if broken. But at least she was alive.

Dan and Carl began frisking the prisoners for weapons, sending them to the other end of the square when done, one by one.

When it was Starlet's turn, Carl had her spin around and lift her arms. "Okay, you're fine, go wait down there."

The girl nodded at him with a severe face. Instead of going where instructed, though, she approached Beth.

"I thought you ran away," she said.

"Er... hey, Starlet." She felt the heat rise in her face, and she chided herself for it. "I had to leave."

"Who are these men?" She pointed at Carl checking the long-haired senior villager for weapons. Dan stood next to him.

"The taller one is my grandpa." She pointed at Dan. "And the other one is also a man from my village."

"Okay." Starlet rubbed her chin as she watched Carl finishing his examination and sending the prisoner to the other end of the square.

Herb was the next to be frisked.

"I'm not sure I like your people," Starlet said. "They don't smile."

"I'm sorry," Beth said.

"You don't have to be sorry. You do smile. It's just the others; they don't. It's not your fault."

Beth chuckled, and Dan turned his head towards her. He said something to Carl that Beth didn't hear, and then he strode over to her, frowning at Starlet.

She frowned back at him. "Are you Beth's grandpa?"

He raised his eyebrows. "Yes, that's right. Why?"

Starlet put a finger on Beth's thigh. "Why didn't you give her a right name? One that means something?"

"I..." He shook his head. Then he gestured towards the others. "Go back to your mom."

Starlet crossed her arms. "I ain't got no mom. Just my gran, and she ain't here."

"Where is she, then?"

Starlet shrugged.

"Go join the others." Wanting to get the child out of Dan's reach, she pushed her towards the villagers who had already been checked.

Herb, after having been examined by Carl, came up to them. "Is the girl bothering you, sir?" He stood straight, his gaze on Dan, as if happy to serve the new authorities.

Dan hesitated for a moment. "No, it's fine."

Starlet rolled her eyes, unseen by Dan, and then went to join her companions.