Chapter 45

"So, they'll deliver the weapons, as requested?" Hammer scratched the side of his bald head in a manner that was almost pensive, doubtful. He and Leo sat at the table in the shed that acted as Hammer's quarters. Rock stood near the window, looking out onto the gardens in the center of the stadium.

"That's what they promised me, yes," Leo said. "On the day after the full moon. We are to leave a cart by the gatehouse and withdraw to our end of the bridge. Then, they'll place the weapons on the cart and go back to their end. When that's done, one of our people will take the prisoner to the gatehouse and check the weapons. If everything is fine, he'll set Burt free. He can join his people while our man can retrieve the cart."

For a moment, Hammer sat silently, head tilted as if listening to his thoughts. "And what if they attack us once they have their... Burt back? The man knows where we are." He raised a hand, gesturing at the shed surrounding them. "With their flying machine, they can get here any time and land right on this roof."

That was a valid concern, Leo knew that. "We'll have the weapons then. And they know it."

"Don't be naive," Hammer said. "They won't give us their best arms. They'll keep stronger ones for themselves. And I don't trust them. In particular when their precious Beth doesn't return, they won't be happy."

"She has returned. I've seen her approaching Seaside when I left." He remembered the woman on the ridge, against the clear blue sky. The wind had tugged at her hair, dress, and shirt—the shirt he had given her. 

She had stood firm, with her hand raised in a silent salute.

Hammer got up and stared at Leo. "What? And you just let her walk? That woman knows where we are, and she'll have told them by now. They could attack at any time." He stepped to the window and looked outside as if expecting the chopper to appear right now.

"I couldn't stop her. She was too far away," Leo said.

It was a lie, but at the time, he hadn't wanted to stop her. She had survived the river and the Wastelands.

She had deserved her return.

"They won't attack as long as we hold Burt," Leo said.

"Yes, that's true." Hammer nodded and settled back into his chair. Then he smiled. "And that's why we won't release that man. We'll take the weapons, but we won't set him free."

"What?" Leo shook his head. "That would be betrayal."

Hammer shrugged, raising his eyebrows.

"True peace cannot be achieved without truth," Rock said, without taking his gaze from the garden outside.

Leo nodded. Rock said little, but when he did say something, it was worth listening to. If they betrayed the Gaters, hate and anger would reign for years to come. "Rock is right. There will be no peace if we cheat now.

"Peace?" Hammer smacked the table. "There will never be peace with the Gaters anyway. In the long run, only one gang can survive." He crossed his arms. "And it won't be them."