Chapter 18

The moment Beth turned the key, several things happened at almost the same time.

The handle was pulled from her hand, and the door opened. Burt barreled into her, propelling her against the wall on the corridor's other side.

From the right, Leo rammed Burt. Both men fell to the ground and started wrestling with each other.

The impact against the wall almost made Beth drop Hope. The child screamed as she caught her. She pulled her close, using her arms to keep her safe.

Beth stroked the baby's fine hair, appalled by the distress she had caused.

Leo got onto his knees while Burt sat up.

Hope's screams turned to sobs.

Leo shook his head as if trying to find his bearings. "Hope?" he said.

"She's okay." Suppressing an impulse to hand the child to her father, she bit her lips and pointed her gun at him instead. "Burt, I've got his daughter and the gun. And Leo, I won't hesitate to use them both... for whatever."

The words had a false ring to them. Would Leo hear it?

But the gang member took a step back from her, holding up his hands. "Just stay calm. I'll do what you say."

"Okay, we're getting out of here, right now," she said. "Leo, you go first."

Holding his hands at the height of his chest, Leo turned and headed down the corridor. Beth and Burt followed.

Hope still whimpered and shook with hiccups.

Burt touched Beth's arm. "You rock!" he whispered.

"Let's talk later. And hey, Leo, move faster." They had to get out of here before someone from the village came to investigate the ruckus.

The tunnel beyond the corridor was still dark, but Beth could now make out Leo's figure as he stood there, hesitating. Her eyes must have adapted to the mirk.

The stadium was to the left, the exit to the right.

"Out!" Burt hissed.

"Okay, okay." Still holding his hands up, Leo complied.

At the tunnel's exit, a large double-door barred their way. Moonlight seeped through a narrow gap between its two wings.

A noise of wood rubbing against wood, and the gap widened. Light flooded in.

"You won't last out there." Leo's silhouette was a black shadow against the moonlit ruins outside. "The gangs will kill you. Or the dogs will get you."

"That's our problem, man," Burt said. "Just move."

Leo held out his hands. "Give me Hope. I'll let you go. I won't tell the others until the morning, and I'll say I don't know how you escaped or where you went."

Beth nodded. The still whimpering infant belonged in her dad's arms. She was about to comply when Burt grabbed her arm, stopping her.

"Why should we believe you once we return the baby to you?" he said. "Anyway, you can show us the way. Move." He gestured towards the square outside.

Leo released a noisy breath as he turned to the right and followed the square's perimeter.

"Hey, where are you going?" Burt hissed.

"You don't want to cross a square with that much moonlight. Keep to the shadows and buildings."

Burt shrugged. "Move, then."