Chapter 49

Leo wasn't surprised to see the gates of the headquarters closed when they arrived. They had left only Herb behind to guard the old, the weak, and the children. With the Bikers eliminated, it had felt safe enough.

They had ordered Herb to lock up everything.

"I don't like this," Hammer said as they stopped, a good fifty paces from the stadium. "I wonder where they went in that flying machine of theirs."

They had seen and heard the aircraft, earlier that day, as it was flying into the city. Not knowing where it was headed, and fearing the worst, they had practiced with their new weapons on their way back home.

Leo unlocked the rifle he held.

Hammer, Spike, and Rock were armed, too.

Leo scanned the windows above the main gate, hoping to get a glimpse of his mother. One of the windows was open, and a figure stood there, arms crossed, watching them.

It wasn't Grace. It was a man, his squarish head and the short-cropped hair betraying him for who he was

"Damn, the Gaters are here," Leo said. "In my apartment."

"Who's that?" Hammer asked.

"That's Dan. I think he's their boss."

Spike raised the rifle he held, aiming for the window, and Dan stepped away from it.

"Coward," Hammer said.

"What do we do now?" Spike asked.

Before Hammer could reply, Dan reappeared, holding something in his arms—something that moved.

The shock of seeing his helpless daughter in the man's hands struck Leo with force. He put a hand on Spike's rifle, pushing its muzzle down. "Wait, he's got Hope."

Dan stepped closer to the window. "Welcome, friends!" His clipped words carried easily across the distance. "It's good to see you."

Hammer pulled a pistol from his belt and aimed it, holding it in both hands. "Get out of there, asshole, or we'll shoot your face off," he shouted.

"No, you won't." Dan turned Hope around, making her face the square. "We've got all your people locked up. And we'll kill them, one by one, unless you keep your deal and send Burt over. You've got one minute to do so."

For a moment, the only thing that could be heard was the faint craw of birds circling far above the city.

Hammer broke the silence. "Hawk, Bolt, take our prisoner to the gates."

"You're sure about that, boss?" Hawk asked.

Hammer nodded. "Yes."

"Come, then." Hawk pulled at the leash around Burt's wrists.

As they started towards the stadium, Burt looked back. "So long, Hammer. It has been a pleasure." He grinned at Leo. "See you, chink."

"Hawk, take your time. Let the gater enjoy his last moments in our care."

"Aye, boss."

When the trio was halfway to the gate, Hammer took a sharp breath. "Now listen carefully," he whispered. "There's not much time. We saw three of them, at the bridge. One was that woman, Beth. So, they've got two men. If we kill that Dan, there's only one left. They won't be able to fight for real. So, we kill the man, and then we'll sneak around to the North wall and scale it. It's not that high. We'll find a way to do that. Then we can finish this."

Spike nodded.

Leo didn't like the thought of killing Dan.

He didn't like the thought of killing at all. There had been enough of that.

And Dan had Hope.

"So, this is what we'll do," Hammer continued. "I'll count to three. Then Spike, Rock, Leo, you'll shoot at him. I'll do the same... all of us at the same time. He won't expect that. At least one of us will hit him."

"But he has Hope," Leo said. "We can't just shoot."

"Aim for his head or belly, not for Hope," Hammer replied. "We've gotta take the risk. This is about the survival of our gang. Of our people. One... two... three!"

"Wait—" Leo's shout was interrupted by three deafening shots.

Dan fell or ducked out of sight, taking Hope with him.

Leo's ears rang.

He hadn't pulled the trigger, yet his hands shook. Had they hurt Hope?

The window stood empty. Nothing moved up there.

A familiar noise pierced the ringing in Leo's ears. He rubbed them, trying to discern what it was. High-pitched, wailing—it was a baby's scream.

Hope.

"Take cover, all of you," Hammer yelled and ran for an overturned car a few paces away from them.

Leo followed.

Ducking behind the vehicle, they watched the stadium. The crying had died down.

Dan reappeared at the edge of the window, peering out at them. He held up the squirming baby, plain to see. "Okay, you've had your chance. And you're shitty shots. So you're to blame for this."

He lifted Hope as if preparing to lunge her through the window.

The baby started screaming again.

Another shot rang.

That one came from the stadium.

Dan took a step forward, coming into plain sight.

He swayed, then he collapsed, still holding Hope.

"What the fuck?" Hammer said.

Hope's crying was the only sound to be heard.

Leo's hand hurt from clasping a corroded edge of the car they were hiding behind.

A figure moved into the window, bent down, and moved away again. The crying abated.

Beth? Leo wasn't sure, but then she reappeared, holding a pistol.

"Stop this." She held up the gun, aiming at the sky. "This..." Her voice broke with the word. "This has to stop. We must not..."

She clasped the sill, and for a moment, Leo was afraid she'd jump.

But she stood unmoving, staring down at them. "We cannot keep killing each other," she said. "This rotten world we live in, it is enemy enough. Our life is a battle, and we can only survive it if we fight it together. Standing alone, we are lost."

She tossed the gun through the window. "I am done with killing. I... cannot go on with this."

Hammer gave a short laugh, bitter and harsh. "Thanks for doing the work for us, girl. But I'm not done with this yet." He raised his pistol, aiming it at her.

Leo rammed the butt of his rifle into the man's jaw.