Chapter 12

Beth turned away from Hammer's lusty grin as she tried to process his words.

Had he offered her to Leo?

Like spoils of war to be claimed by the victor?

Leo's gaze moved from Beth to Burt and back to Hammer. "I'm not in the mood. And I have to go get Doc Faith," he said.

"You're sure about that?" Hammer grabbed Beth's upper arm and turned her to face Leo. His fingers dug into her flesh. "She's all yours. You deserve a little fun. You did well today."

Leo shook his head. "No, thanks. Another time, maybe."

Hammer turned Beth back to face him and studied her. His gaze sought out her face and then moved down along her body. "Hmm, she's young. But not too young. And the stuff she's wearing..." He snickered and looked at Leo. "She's begging for it. If you don't want her, I'll have her."

Beth tried to pull away from the man, but his grip held firm.

"Wait." Leo looked at her and then at Hammer. "You're right. I should take her. After all, it was her people who killed my wife and..." He bit his lips and studied the pistol he held in his hands.

Still stunned by the way these brutes discussed who'd get her, Beth balled her fists, but words failed her.

Hammer huffed. "Just when things get interesting, you're changing your mind. And what about you going to fetch Doc Faith?"

Leo shrugged. "It's... The acts of her people do call for revenge. And Spike can get Doc Faith for Flora. Won't you, Spike?"

"Sure, I can leave right away. I'll run all the way to that big house of hers."

Hammer held his palms outward as if in defeat. "As you wish. I said she's all yours if you want her. Just don't kill her. We'll want to return her and Lily to their folks."

"Return 'em?" the greasy-haired villager asked. "They're a pack of water stealers and killers, the lot of them. I say we kill 'em."

"Yeah," another one added.

Hammer shook his head. "They're more valuable alive, for now. Because I want to trade them. Trade them for weapons. As you've seen, they've got working ammunition up there in their gated village, and guns. And once we're tooled up, we'll raid their place and kill them. And we'll also go for the other gangs."

He held up a fist. "We're the Baseballers!"

"We're the Baseballers!" The people echoed.

Beth shook her head. It was all so bizarre, beyond words.

Hammer seized the rope that Spike held, the one tied to Beth's hands, and handed it to Leo. "There you go."

"You sonofabitch," Burt moved towards Hammer, but Rock stopped him.

Hammer stood before Burt, facing him. "Who did you call a son of a bitch, Lily?"

"You're the son of a bitch, you primitive ape. Baseballer, you say? I'm sure you don't even know—"

His words were cut short by Hammer's fist entering his stomach. He doubled over.

Beth pulled at her rope, trying to get to Burt, but Leo held it taut.

"Enough," Hammer said. "Take Lily to the locker room. The rest of you, do as you please." He leered at Leo, and then he turned away and entered the building behind him.

The long-haired villager slapped Leo on the shoulder. "Have fun," he said and joined the rest of the people heading back to their dwellings.

Rock took Burt by the scruff of his neck and pulled him up. "Move."