Chapter 2: Scared, Scarred and Scarce

Hello! Thank you for clicking on the second chapter of this fan fiction, I really appreciate every read and enjoy writing this story so much. Hope you enjoy reading it ❤️

Gellert POV:

The next morning, I got dressed and ready fairly early as I saw no point in trying to sleep when I hadn't the entire night. I was just so overwhelmed with the mysterious nature of the Dumbledore children that I couldn't get it off my mind. I just couldn't help but want to know more.

I was about to go down the stairs when a thought crossed my mind which made me switch stairs and, instead, ascend to the third floor. When I got up there, I was met with the same door I had tried to open yesterday but had failed in doing so. However, what I was so drawn to was the plate that was still on the floor where I had left it, untouched and, undoubtedly, gone off. My eyes widened at the sight, how could he miss dinner?

It was too early to knock so I took the cold plate down with me and gave it to the maid to dispose of. It was very strange indeed that he wouldn't even have a bite of it, he didn't even open the door last night or show his face at dinner. Then again, perhaps I'm overthinking it and he was just too tired to eat and slept the whole night, even through my knocking. But I knew that can't have been the case as there was still the absence of his sister that fed into the peculiarities of this family.

I sat on the sofa and let my mind run in circles over this whole mystery. I've only seen one of the three children, I've not been here for even a day but then again, Tante said this was a common occurrence. The one that I have seen seems very distant, he's polite but always appears to be keeping a space between us all and was desperate to finish dinner quickly just to get away. Then there's his sister who I know absolutely nothing of other than she's never spoken to my aunt and hates meeting knew people. Then there's Albus, the eldest of the three, who is known for being in his room all day and skipping meals. Surely he heard me knock, I knocked twice, louder the second time. Maybe I should've spoken...

My mind lingered over all these factors multiple times even though I wasn't going to figure it out in less than a day. What I was trying to figure out, I didn't know but then I supposed I would find out.

I'd been thinking for so long that I hadn't even realised the sun had fully risen until my aunt wished me a good morning.

'Good morning Tante...say, could you answer something for me?' I questioned.

She sat opposite me, 'Of course,'

I hesitated but said, 'How is it you took in the Dumbledores?'

Tante sighed and stood up again, glaring at me, 'I told you not to ask questions about them,'

'I know...but this is the only one I vish to know,' I lied but I didn't intend on asking her anything more.

She complied, 'You mustn't mention any of this to them,'

I waited.

'I was in the market one day and I saw Aberforth begging in the streets,' Tante told me, 'He was shouting to us all about how him and his siblings had nothing to live on, that his sister was incredibly ill and his brother is so smart he could do anything for anyone. He begged to be given a chance and so I did, I have the money and the space so I thought...why not?'

'Ariana is sick?' I picked out the important part, 'Vhat do you mean?'

'I don't know, and you shouldn't dare ask,' she warned, heading off to the kitchen. She's right, I shouldn't ask and I won't...but I'm still going to figure it out.

I wondered off upstairs to the second floor of the building where I saw Aberforth with a stack of books and was picking out more to add. I stood next to him, peering over at his selections, 'Vhat are these for?'