Chapter 9~

The Belt 

Elise~ 

A few days later, I paced in front of the reception desk with a coffee and my phone clutched in my hand. The last few days had consisted of me avoiding Camille, ignoring Sebastian's few calls and getting no calls from Micah. I wasn't sure if getting the Christian Louboutin's heels via packaged mail on my doorstep yesterday morning was a good sign or a bad one. But I'd put them on this morning and now they clicked and clacked in sync with my pacing. 

Camille hadn't shown up this morning and she was not answering the phone. Just what I needed when I had a session to be at in thirty minutes and then a couple more before the day ended. Just when I was about to give up and get my camera ready, my cell started to ring. I answered it before the second trill. "Camille. Is everything alright?" 

"Yea...I mean, no. Not really. I'm about to get on a Greyhound and go back home. I think it's best for me while I deal with this." I stopped pacing and the feeling that came over me could be compared to being punched in the stomach. 

"What-no. Fuck Sebastian. You do not have to do anything that asshole says. Do not let him run you away, Camille. Please." Okay, I'd been pissed at her-at both of them-but the last thing I wanted was for her to leave. She was my friend and I did need her help with the studio. But more importantly...she was my friend. 

"I can't stay here, Elise. He's on my ass about an abortion. He's making me choose him or a baby and as much as I love him...I'm going to have this child." I could hear her tears in the sound of her voice. Love? How long had they been involved with each other? It all made my heart hurt for her. It was obvious my brother didn't love her back. He wouldn't make her choose if he did. Sebastian loved Audrey, no matter how fucked up he was to her.  "I'm sorry, Elise. I'll stay in touch." 

Damn it. I was going to kill him. There was nothing I could do, so I just sighed in defeat, "Alright. Just be safe and I'll be waiting to hear from you." The call ended shortly after and I resisted every urge to scream or throw my phone against the wall. There was no time for me to sit around and wonder what I was going to do, so I grabbed my camera and left for my first session. 

It was at a ballet studio. It took longer than I had expected; keeping the girls still for individuals and then one group. But I didn't mind. Kids always seemed to put me in a better mood. I went from one session to the next, all day. What I thought would be a stressful work day had turned out to be a fun one. 

Except by the time I made it back to my studio, my feet were throbbing in the heels-they just needed to be broke in some-and I was about to fucking starve. The croissant this morning had merely been a snack. I put my camera away, kicked the heels off in front of the reception desk and looked over my appointment book. Tomorrow would go a lot like today had. 

I was sending out reminders via text when a knock came at the glass door that was locked. On the other side, my adorable Chilean friend and former college roommate, Gabriela, was waving in at me. I left my cell phone and appointment book to hurry over and unlock the door. "Gabriela! What a nice surprise." I pulled her in and locked things up behind her. 

Her hair was shorter, more bronze, than it had been the last time I'd seen her and her skin was tanner. "Just thought I'd stop by and finally see the place running. This is really great, Elise." Gabby said as she looked around the studio and went to the desk. I was not surprised when she pulled out a bottle of wine from her bag and two Styrofoam cups. It had always been our thing. 

"Thank you. How is school going?" I asked, going to stand with her as she opened up the cheap bottle and filled the glasses. Always coming to my rescue with wine.