Prologue

Akisa Manon, a 17 year old student was hiding inside her room from her drunk out parents, surfing the Internet in her computer as one of her only joys and true escapism against reality. There, she found a notification on her e-mail, something of a job offer.

The job was from the sons of an influential politician she read from the news, and they wanted to hire a maid, part time at least. But the strangest thing was that there was absolutely no address and that it must be done at night.

Manon was starting to think it was some odd spam, but when she saw the figures of the paycheck just for a day, she was very... tempted.

So it has to be done at night, it didn't matter. She was insomniac enough to go through both day and night. She only needed a few hours of sleep, and in between is fine.

There is no address, no problem, she could probably trace the email to an address, or at the very least, she could find the address from anyone. Why not? That politician is famous enough for other people to get an address.

"Manon!" Someone cried out. Immediately, Manon shivered in fright and turned off the computer, to get under the covers of the bed as she soon pretended to sleep soundly.

The door immediately banged open to reveal a scruffy kind of man, holding a drink in one hand and a whip in another. He was looking around and found that frail girl as he sniffed in disgust.

"You are not sleeping on me this time!" The man shouted as he pulled out the covers and dragged Manon out. She still pretended to be asleep, thinking, 'Please go away. Please go away.'

"Heh," the man smirked and Manon suddenly felt a stinging pain at her stomach, which immediately bolted her upright to see that ominous sight of the man: her father. Manon shivered.

"Yes, get up you useless, why do I put up with you anyways?" Father asked. Manon said nothing.

Before... when was that? But before, her father was a very lovable person who always took care of her. They were a well off family once, but when she turned teen... it was when it all went just downhill.

"You already lost your fourth job! And we still have debt! So, unless you get another job or..." Father threatened, and this time, he smashed the beer bottle on her face. It tore a scar to her cheeks, a long one.

"You are going to receive a lot of pain, or better yet, we sell you off as a slave. Thank God that some rich people still have a thing for that and for it being rare, it is very lucrative... Remember that I only kept you around because you take care of everything. So, if you don't..." Father said, then cackled.

Manon sighed when Father finally left. When did it really become like this?

She didn't really know, it was like madness. Craziness that appeared so suddenly that reversed the personality of a person. A respectable worker into a drunkard gambler. A yin into a yang. Both of her parents.

She should have filed Social Services, but they were the only people she had. She didn't want to go to the orphanage, she heard enough horror stories of orphanage and everything she had now... she didn't need to lose it.

So, right now, to save her skin, she needed to get that job. True, for 3 years, she held 4 jobs and for her bad luck, someone either found fault, terrible bosses or just plain clumsy, she couldn't hold a job together for a few months or so.

For now, just get a few winks before she had to go to school in about... 2 to 3 hours. That would be enough, and Manon went under her covers. For the first time, she actually fell into a deep slumber.

'My darling...' Manon heard a voice, and saw a silhouette. She almost choked.

"Grandma?" Manon whispered. Tears were falling down her eyes. Manon knew it was a dream, but it was good to see her grandmother.