Background

After finally satisfying both Kanato and Laito, the fangs new to her neck (damn those eager bloodsuckers), Manon decided to take a break outside the garden while tending it a bit. Manon knew that some fresh air would do her some good.

The roses were beautiful and seeing them gave Manon a sense of peace that was absent since her grandmother's death...

And Manon did a cliche thing: she stopped to smell the roses.

The white ones were especially beautiful as she simply stared at one and wished she could pick at it just so that she could wear it over her ear. Manon was sure it would look very good on her.

"Oi. What are you doing?"  A voice asked, obviously male.

With dread, she turned around to see that it was Subaru and her body relaxed only slightly. It was probably a wrong reaction, because Subaru is definitely a bloodthirsty vampire.

However, he was also the only one who seemed to care about Manon in his own way. Like when he warned her about himself and the rest of the vampires even though he professes not to care.

A classic tsundere and in here, it's just way more dere than the rest of the brothers...

Still, that doesn't mean she would let her guard down. Manon was just happy that it was neither Kanato nor Laito. She had seen enough of those brothers for one day.

"Tending to the garden, Subaru-kun," Manon answered, getting more and more used to calling Subaru without the honorific '-sama'.

"But what are you doing here?" Manon turned the tables in asking, "I thought you were supposed to be at school, or you are here to keep an eye on me like Kanato-sama and Laito-sama?"

"Actually, school ended and the rest of us got back just a moment ago," Subaru said.

"Ack. Dinner," Manon said, remembering that chore, "If you will excuse me..."

She bypassed Subaru but was stopped at the grab of her elbow. Manon's heart started beating faster, wondering what she did wrong as she looked into Subaru's eyes.

"What is it, Subaru-kun?" Manon asked politely.

"I'm just wondering..." Subaru said, as he was looking at the flowers that Manon was admiring a few moments ago, "What do you think of those flowers?"

Manon almost raised her brow.

'Is this an attempt at conversation? Why?' Manon thought but she decided to just answer.

"Well, I think they are really lovely. They were tended to really well," Manon said.

Subaru was looking at the flowers, the white roses, "But do you know what they mean?"

Manon shook her head.

"White roses mean... purity, unlike the red roses that mean romance," Subaru said, still looking at the flowers with an almost wistful expression.

"Oh," Manon said, the information lovely but she really needed to get back to work. Yet she also didn't want to be rude. So, she started trying end the conversation in a polite and cautious tone. Continue it for a while, no awkwardness and depart.

"Hmm... how do you know that? Did someone tell you?" Manon asked.

"Yes," Subaru said, "I always have to listen to her as she keeps on talking about it."

"Does it mean something then?" Manon asked.

"Huh?" Subaru became slightly aggressive, "None of your business."