To Injury

"What do we do now?" Sakura asked, as she ran following Manon's lead.

"We are going to get you out of here," Manon said, "I remembered the route to your place. Just get out of the woods and take the bus..." Manon checked her phone.

"And we still have 15 minutes before the bus arrives."

"But what if those vampires catch up with us and attack us?" Sakura asked.

"I have a taser and I'm not afraid to use it, but..." Manon took out a silver knife and hand it to Sakura.

"You are not their maid. You have the right to kill them and I can turn a blind eye," Manon said.

It was rather unfaithful to the Sakamaki brothers that Manon chose Sakura over them, especially letting Sakura kill her masters but then again, it wasn't in her job description to keep them safe and alive. Just in check.

They will probably never trust her.

But Manon herself never trusted them in the first place.

Manon might act meek and timid in front of the vampires just to sell her maid act, but truthfully, she was stubborn.

Stubborn about her ideals and such. Seeing Sakura almost getting killed triggered her. Some people would probably think for her mission of uncovering her grandmother's mystery and avoiding anymore trouble with the brothers, it would better to turn a blind eye.

Manon stubbornly couldn't. A life snuffed out, and she didn't do anything? Her grandmother all over again. The guilt will turn her insane.

Of course... there will obviously be consequences when she came back, and she will deal with them with how she saw fit. Still better than aliens.

In the end, Manon gave up. She will just do what she feels right, idiotic or not. There was no happy endings with vampires anyway. In the end, just live with it and do whatever you can later.

Afterwards, they continued to run, with Sakura gripping the knife tightly as if it were a lifeline.

But Manon was determined to make conversation, especially what Sakura probably read.

Akisa Rin...

What are you hiding?

"What did you read in my grandmother's file?" Manon asked Sakura, who took a moment before answering.

"Well, there wasn't much I know about it. There were a lot of scientific terms I don't get. Mostly, your grandmother along with the vampires' father was running in some human experimentation," Sakura said.

Manon's  breath hitched and it was not from running. Human experimentation...

"What do you mean by human experimentation?" Manon demanded.

"I don't know. There were a lot of stuff about implantation, construction but... on people and creation. I don't know! They called the whole thing something like 'Project Eve'."

"'Project Eve'?" Manon mused, the term absolutely unfamiliar. Maybe her parents know something, but she had another question, "And what was the result of such an experiment."

"Well... they did get something, but..." Sakura said, a little hesitant. Why hesitant? "Well, they scrap the project after too many failed results so..."

"They failed? But what is the result?" Manon asked again. Failed... is that why her grandmother backed out of the project? But it was also because the project was something that her grandmother didn't want anything to do with.

Manon decided whether the failure had anything to do with her grandmother's decision. She needed to know.

"Sakura, please answer me," Manon said, not a question but a demand as Sakura did not say anything.