❨10❩

♀︎

"I'm sure you've heard this before, but your eyes are absolutely gorgeous," Flynn compliments me for the tenth time tonight. He's been here for an hour, I'm already six glasses of red wine in because his presence is getting kind of annoying. It's a shameful thing to say, but he's trying too hard on me and it's not particularly attractive. 

"Thank you, Flynn," I smile awkwardly. 

The speaker is playing jazz music through the living room of my house, I know how much he appreciates his favorite genre. He's been tapping along to the beats and even I must admit that it's not as bad as I would've assumed, although I still appreciate some Spice Girls or Baby got Back over this. We're sitting too close on the spacious couch, him occasionally scooting closer and me not having any more room to move away. 

"This is probably the best way to end a beautiful day, drinking wine with a wonderful woman, listening to the epitome of remarkable music, smelling the new feelings in the air, this is what I want to do."

I have to physically refrain myself from rolling my eyes, does he really believe he's smooth? I have no clue why he's talking like this, it's very new and I don't like it one bit. Honestly, I'm not certain if he's always been like this and I've just deliberately turned a blind eye, or if this is a different charade after he saw Elijah on the day of our date. 

The music changes to a more suggestive song and I see Flynn's eyes gleam, an opportunity clearly just presented itself and he's happy. He slowly creeps closer to me, his ecstatic face nearing mine. "Can I kiss you, muffin?" 

From the shock of the sickening nickname and his hand suddenly in my hair, pulling a little too hard, I don't register his movements before it's too late. His sloppy lips land on mine, moving against them in what he believes to be passion. He sighs in delight and his breath enters my nose, almost making me cough. 

My slightly drunk mind isn't catching up to him, it seems unreal that he's kissing me like this. I try not to gag. Belatedly, my brain begins operating again when he yanks at my hair roughly. I brutally push him away from me in shock, my heart pounds against my chest. Staring at him with as much disregard as I can gather. 

Sorry, but I'm done playing nice.

I stand up and he does as well, looking at me in doubt with his arms out to his sides, he obviously isn't very happy with the outcome of tonight. His anger directs towards me, "What are you doing? We were just getting along."

I pull at my hair in frustration, walking from one end of the living room to the other, and then again, "You can't just kiss me, Flynn. We've been struggling in our relationship and you can't just do that. I told you I needed a break from all of this, tonight I tried to ease myself into it again and here you go kissing me just like that!"

"I asked you first?"

I stop in front of his seated frame, glowering at his careless eyes and scoffing when he raises a questioning brow at me, "You quickly threw some words out, and then you attacked my face, pulling my hair out if its roots and calling me 'muffin', what even is that?"

He smirks, the action doing absolutely nothing to me, "You remind me of a little muffin."

"How in the world can I remind you of a fucking muffin?"

His eyes shoot up in a glare, clearly not enjoying what he's hearing right now, "I hate it when girls swear, you know this."

"I don't care! I'm a girl with a dirty ass mouth, if you can't handle it then leave," Pausing to collect my thoughts, I finally realize what I need to do about this exact situation for myself. I don't need him in my life and quite frankly, I don't want him in my life either, "You know what? Leave, either way, I'm done trying to make this work. I'm clearly not your type and I refuse to lie about it anymore."

"But I've been planning our future," He whines a little, the action making him ten times more unattractive. 

"Do you seriously not hear yourself?"

"All the time, muffin-"

"Don't!" I interrupt him, holding up my hand and honestly not really grasping what I'm hearing. "Don't call me that."

He crosses his arms in front of his chest, agitated that I'm talking in the manner that I am. He's been telling me since day one how much he likes pretty girls, I know deep down I'm not a pretty girl, but I wanted to try and be one for him. Obviously it wouldn't work out, obviously, I would blow up at some point like I'm doing right now. He doesn't like the type of woman I am, and I don't appreciate the type of man he is. 

"But I've been driving you home so many times by now."

Grimacing at him, "And that makes you think I'll sleep with you?"

"Yeah, basically," He stops himself when he sees how fuming I am. "Come on, Kota, you can't blame a guy for trying."

He did not!

Hearing my nickname from him taints the charm to it and I don't want him to ruin the bond I have with my dad, that is probably the worst thing he could've ever tried on me. Especially in the middle of a fight. "My name is Dakota, Flynn."

"Your friends from high school call you Kota, why can't I? I'm sure your neighbor must call you Kota as well, why can he when your own boyfriend can't?" The childishness shocks me a little, he's getting under my skin now. I have never seen him act like this before, he has always been pretty composed and only complained about his job. Never about me. 

"It's different," I simply state, not wanting to dwell on the matter.

"Different how, huh?"

Realizing that he's jealous, the anger slowly returns. He can't seriously be acting up because of Elijah, that's just absolutely ridiculous. They're not even comparable, Flynn is this monotonous guy with no hopes and dreams, while Elijah is something entirely different. His mind is always with others' well-being, he cares passionately, he loves with his entire heart. 

"Earth to Dakota? Tell me how it's different."

"I don't owe you an explanation."

"You kinda do though, tell me why you're leaving me for him."

"We were never truly together, Flynn! You rarely talk to me and when you do it's to complain about work. Why the fuck are you acting like this?" He cringes by my colorful words and I roll my eyes. 

He opens his mouth to retaliate but is cut off by the knocking on the door. Relief washes over my body, he wouldn't have left and a visitor will give me the opportunity of throwing him out right now. 

"Who's visiting you in the middle of the night?" He digs again, acting like a possessive boyfriend. 

I ignore him and walk towards the hall, hearing his footsteps behind me I open the door. My eyes blaze into green ones and a small flutter skips in my chest, "Elijah?"

He breaks eye contact, looking over me and seeing Flynn standing with a smirk on his face behind me. I roll my eyes at him and turn to Elijah again, he gives me a small smile and shakes his head, "I'm sorry to interrupt, I'll just leave."

I grab his upper arm when he turns around, making him halt in his movements. "Did you need anything?"

He grabs my hand and releases my grip on his huge bicep, "Nah, I'm good."

Before I get to say another word, he leaves me in the door. A bad feeling nagging in the back of my mind, I wonder what he wanted here. He was smiling, but I can read him better than a lot of people, he seemed bothered. It can't seem too great that Flynn is here either, it would send the wrong message. I don't know why I care about the message it sends either way, Elijah and I aren't a thing. 

Speaking of, I turn around and meet Flynn's eyes harshly, "We're done." Gesturing with my hands for him to leave my house, "Please, and thank you."

He protests and roughly pushes past me in the door, hurrying into his car and speeding off down the road. The immense relief is back and I try not to leap in excitement, happiness overwhelming me since I now am officially done with him and his eerie ways. Maybe he wasn't the most beneficial idea I've had.