❨27❩

♀︎

The clinking of glasses and laughter carries through the air. Dani and Brock are teasing each other with the news of her new promotion, apparently he saw it coming before she did. Relly is trying to ease her boyfriend into these gatherings, he gives me a simple smile and nod when he sees me looking and I reciprocate. Will had to come alone today since his wife, Zara, is joining an important business outing, both of them work like crazy and it pays off.

"Relly," Will speaks with a laugh. "Give your poor Matti a break, he needs to get used to all of us."

She pokes her tongue out at him and flips him off, "You know nothing, William. You're still the annoying brother who consistently pushed us in the pool when we were younger."

"Dakota and Elijah have a bath upstairs, you want to relive old memories?" He teases and the playful glint in his eyes has me smiling. 

"Take your time," Elijah says in his low voice and it makes me laugh. 

"Fuck you, Eli!" Relly jokes before turning towards a smirking and uncaring Will. "And fuck you too, William. Dani, please control your brother."

She laughs and shakes her head, "I have given up on that man, no hope for him left. He's all yours."

"But I don't want him!" She exasperates which makes everyone laugh. She scowls at us and crosses her arms across her chest, "William, you're a bitch."

"And you're a brat," He retaliates. She, once again, pokes her tongue out at him. 

Scanning the humor in the room I see that one woman again. My mom is seated to my right, she has been great these past few months. It's been hard for both of us to mend a broken relationship, but in my opinion, we've come a long way and that is something I will always be proud of. She's been clean for a while by now, which is amazing and I remember to tell her how proud I am of her. When she sees me looking she grabs my hand and squeezes it lightly, sending me a comforting smile and I give her one in return.

Elijah is sitting to my left, his aura has me relaxing in the company of everyone. The thought of what we did before the others came makes me blush and he smirks at the sight, clearly knowing what I'm thinking about. He fulfilled his promise as well, cooking and setting the table before waking me up in time for me to shower. He is too great at having my back always and especially with the exciting news I will be spilling tonight, it will be life changing for a lot of people in this very room. 

My eyes scan the room and I find myself smiling at the sight, such an odd combination of people and we work anyway. The love is unreal and it's impressive how all of us manage to maintain relationships that began almost ten years ago. We are missing a few aspects of our lives, I would've loved for Papa Black, Tilly and my dad to be here, but I know they are. Somehow and somewhere they are a part of this table and will be able to listen when I say those few words in a couple of minutes. 

My sweaty palms are unnecessary, it's weird how nervous this makes me. All of them are family and love Elijah and I together, we're adults, but I still feel like a child at times. Children shouldn't have children, right? It has happened and been some great successes before. Of course we can do it. 

Dani searches my face and tilts her head to the side with a gentle smile, "What crawled up your ass today, Kota?"

"Yeah," Relly adds in and nods her head confidently. "You're unusually quiet, it's starting to freak me out as well."

"Now you started it," I say and shrug my shoulders. Turning towards my husband he sends me a small smile and I feel better instantly, "There is something I've been wanting to tell you guys."

All the attention is on me now and I feel okay, the wish to tell them overshadows anything and I give them the brightest smile I can muster. "Elijah and I are having a baby."

The silence after my announcement urges me to look around at my family, all of them are either completely shocked or smiling creepily at us. The silence turns to screams in the matter of seconds, Dani and Relly are jumping around and engulf me in the biggest hug. Will gives me a huge hug and smiles down at me, "Feels weird knowing that my bonus little sister had sex, but I'll let it slide for now."

"We're married," I say to him and laugh. He waves me off and walks away, not wanting to dwell on those thoughts anymore. Matti comes forward and offers me his hand, I pull him into a hug and he laughs awkwardly, "Congratulations on the baby, Dakota."

Thanking him he walks off and Brock instantly tackles me, "I'm so fucking ready to be an uncle, what will you name the baby? Brock?"

"Definitely not," I laugh and push him away from me, he laughs and shakes Elijah's hand. All the congratulations are floating the air and my eyes find my mother's teary ones. She is staring at me with such admiration and love it surprises me a little, her arms encircle my waist and I allow myself to relax in her hug. 

"I promise to be the best grandmother for that small child in your belly, Kota," She says and nods against me. The honesty to her words allows me to breathe and relax in knowing how she truly wishes to be just that. I tighten my grip on her and release her again, tilting my head to the side I give her a smile and finally feel at ease with having her here. 

Elijah's arm snakes around my stomach and he kisses my temple, the action giving me insane butterflies. Looking up at him, he radiates happiness and love, almost too much for me to read. "Now we're officially ready to have this baby! Of course we have to let it grow first, develop small fingers and toes, a little nose, the chubbiest cheeks and-"

"I know, honey. We are ready, but baby isn't - I get it," The laughter bubbles up my throat and he joins in. 

"Thank god, I was about to mention how you're basically growing fingernails inside of you, but that felt weird."

"Ew," I whisper and he laughs at me. That thought is actually quite disturbing. Why is that? Shaking my head I turn to him again, "Let's not think about that, okay?"

"Fine by me," He agrees with a nod.