❨24❩

♀︎

8 months later...

Strolling down the dark streets of Hetdale, I find myself smiling at the mere thought of Elijah waiting for me at our home. He and I officially moved in together a couple of months ago, in my original house because he, apparently, liked the scent the most. Having him near me every day has been a true blessing, we are as strong as ever. He has been working on his mental health and I have been working on the shop, both of us are thriving and the pain we've experienced through our lives has truly strengthened us. 

Dani and Relly are as involved in my life as ever, both of them are testing the idea of moving into a huge house and having all of our families live there. I haven't been willing to do it, the prospect of not being alone with Elijah doesn't sound too appealing to me anymore. Us three girls visit each other all the time anyway, it really isn't necessary to live together. 

I'm convinced Relly will get together with an office rat at a company in town either way, he is very kind and horribly awkward at social events, which has me feeling bad for him at times. We aren't the easiest people to be around, some would even call us obnoxious. He isn't the type of guy I thought she'd end up with, but it's very clear how happy he makes her and that is enough for me. It didn't work out with the mathlete, so I'm crossing my fingers now.

Reaching our house, I instantly stop dead in my tracks at the hurtful sight in front of me. My heart turns cold and I try to ignore the stabbing pain slicing at my chest, the mere idea of breathing is hard for me and I desperately grip the fence in front of me. Every memory and torment from that one person hits me all at once, I've fought to ignore that aspect of my life only for it to show up at my house. 

She inches closer to me, each step makes for a punch in my gut and I will myself to breathe. Her face has changed, the wrinkles are more apparent and huge black circles hug her eyes. The blue eyes I have seen once too many times. The eyes that were filled with hatred when I needed them to be filled with love. The eyes that were there at my birth, the very same eyes that witnessed her choice of staying away from my graduation. 

"Dakota..." She sighs when she reaches me, the pain in that simple action has me tightening my grip on the fence. Too tight. Too painful. "My baby."

Not being able to form a coherent thought, I clutch my stomach with my free hand and a choked sob leaves my lips. This is the woman that should've loved me throughout everything, instead she turned to violence and alcohol. No words can express the way I'm feeling right now, nothing feels right. This is wrong. She did me wrong.

"How did you find me?" The only thing that comes to mind, nothing too hurtful, nothing too deep and sorrowful. I have managed without her by my side and I damn fucking well don't need her in my life. I'm happy!

"I spoke to every person in this town, I heard about a florist and somehow knew it would be you," Her voice has changed, the usual slur from the drugs and alcohol is no longer there. She almost sounds like the mother I once knew. Quite horrific how I barely remember that person now, she is a distant memory for me. I lost that woman on Christmas during senior year of high school. "Please hear me out, I promise not to bring any more misery into your life. You have my word."

"If you think, even for a second, that your word means anything to me, then you're sadly mistaken, mother," Not being able to control the hostility in my voice, I try to calm myself down before I do something both of us might regret later. 

"Can we talk?" She asks and it takes me a second to gather my thoughts. "Please."

The door to the house opens and out steps the person who is most important to me, his confused gaze falls upon my mother and it's obvious how much he's trying to hide his thoughts about her. It helps having him here. He walks towards us and casually places his arm around my waist before searching my face, "Are you joining me for dinner, love?"

Seeing him disregard her has me quite entertained, he clearly doesn't want to invite her inside if I don't want her in there. He is absolutely perfect. My thoughts are pulled back to the situation at hand when I stare at my mother standing in front of me, her eyes are pleading with me and some part of me wishes to hear her apology. I want to hear it from her and I need to hear how sorry she is. Her selfish actions destroyed me for years and if she wishes to own up to it, then I definitely won't stand in her way. Perhaps this is the closure I need. 

Staring into her eyes, I relax in the arms of my boyfriend and try to find the courage to speak these next few words. My attention turns to Elijah and I smile at him, "Babe, can you set the table for one more person, please?"

He does with no ounce of doubt and I appreciate having his support. This is exactly how the three of us end up spending the evening together, her telling me everything and anything. Apologizing repeatedly and some part of me believes her, some huge part of me believes how sorry she is. Her promises mean shit to me, but if she can proof herself worthy over time, then I'm willing to open up a small portion of my life to her. 

She leaves with an awkward hug and Elijah makes me forget all about her all throughout the night when I'm at the mercy of his skilled fingers. This man is the reason I can breathe without choking, he is the reason why my smile is earnest. At fucking last.