Chapter 4: Sudden News

(Kevin MacLeod-Summer Day)

" Wake up, Ashlen! Come on, get up!" Her mother sighed. " You're going to be late!"

" Mmh...late for what? It's not a school day, lemme sleep in..." Ashlen grumbled, pulling her bedsheets over her, still half asleep.

" I'll be heading out with your father and Andrew, and it's past Angelica's breakfast time. That's what your late for." Her mother replied as she swiftly yanked the bedsheets away from Ashlen before exiting the room.

" Ugh..." Ashlen grumbled and sat up from her bed, yawning and stretching her arms out. She glanced at her clock. 9: 38 AM.

Yawning again, Ashlen stood up from her bed and began getting ready.

(End BGM)

(The Testament of Sister New Devil OST-Onii chan to yoba se te)

She brushed her teeth, took a refreshing shower, then soaked in the bath for a little, then she slipped on her casual clothing. Which was a purple tank top with a purple shawl scarf draping over her shoulders, long purple seperate sleeves that reach down her wrists, with dark purple see through cloth splitting in a V downwards towards the end of the sleeves. A purple skirt that has a bold violet line across near the bottom, along with brown chocolate boots that reached up to her knees.

After that, she saw that her mother had left, and so Ashlen went down stairs and went over to Angelica, who was playing with Zizzi. And her cat looked less than pleased with having Angelica petting her like crazy.

" If this pleases you, then I must endure the annoyance." Ashlen caught Zizzi grumble with an annoyed twitch of her ear as Angelica laughed as she began to pet Zizzi even more.

Ashlen chuckled and walked over to the two, who were near the dining room.

" I see the both of you are having a great time!" She said cheerfully.

"...You could put it that way." Zizzi huffed, her tail twitching.

Zizzi isn't an ordinary pet cat, aside from the fact she can speak, she's a very special part of the family. She defended her family from danger and helped us get closer, in fact. Her black silky fur and purple eyes wanted Ashlen to give the name Midnight for her, but they went with Zizzi, because...why not?

(End BGM)

(Kevin MacLeod-Clear Air)

As the day passed by, Ashlen and Zizzi watched over Angelica as Ashlen continued studying and reading magic. She was beginning to understand everything now. And took Hana's word by heart.

" You mustn't push yourself. Magic comes from the heart, it's based off of your emotions. If you believe in yourself, and feel love, your magic will come to you, for that is...the secret of magic."

But yet, Ashlen was confused at that. What type of emotion, specifically? Anger? Sadness? And love? What does she mean by that?

The clock struck 3 in the evening, and Ashlen heard the door beginning to unlock. Her mother, father, and older brother stepped in.

(End BGM)

Ashlen put her book down and stood up to walk over to them. Her mother looked overwhelmed as she stepped in and placed down a stack of papers onto the table, while her father had a serious look on his face, and Andrew had an uneasy, worried, almost look. What is going on?

We all gathered around my mother as she closed the door and let out a huge sigh. She looked at each of us carefully in the eyes and sat down in one of the dining table chairs.

" Mom? What's wrong?" Ashlen finally asked, taking a step closer to her mother.

Her mother locked her gaze into Ashlen's for a whole minute, until she slowly looked away and sighed.

"...We've been running low on money lately, and we were able to keep food in our home, so, I went out and changed something in my job..."

" That's fine. I don't mind you changing some stuff from your job, but-"

"...But I'll be going around the kingdom doing quests from the Quest Board...and your father will help me out as well..."

Ashlen froze. Her eyes went wide as she took a step back. The words struck her so hard she felt as if she was about to collapse to the floor, until she regained her posture and stayed silent.

"...Please be careful, mom..." was the only thing Ashlen managed to get out of herself.

Her mother nodded, and took her hands in her.

" I promise I will." she said, her voice now back to normal.

The whole family slowly parted ways, leaving her mother alone in the dining room.

Ashlen closed her bedroom door and let out a long, shaky sigh.

This is such grand news...but as dangerous those jobs can be, mom and dad are putting their life out there for us. And I will make it count. I'll work even harder for them, to maybe even join them as well on those quests.

With the harsh news of her parents risking their lives for their family, Ashlen will now work as harder than before for unlock her magic! To be continued in Chapter 5: Hidden Sadness 

[Author's Note: Chapter 4 is done! Next chapter is coming soon. Let me know what you think in the comments. Much love to you all!]