Chapter 5: Hidden Sadness

(Unknown Anime Track 4)

" Alllllllllllllrighty!!! It's learning time~!" Ashlen chirped as she swung open the classroom door, full of energy.

She skips into the classroom, her smile as bright as the early morning sun. Her sudden too cheerful mood catches the attention of Asami and Hana, and they exchange slightly uncomfortable looks.

Right as she finished pulling out her notebook and writing utensil, she went up to the chalkboard and began writing down some things.

"...Something is definitely up with her." Asami muttered. " She's not this cheerful whatsoever! Especially for school! Most of all, she's not tardy! Maybe an alien abducted the real Ashlen and placed down a fake one!"

" I agree." Hana added with a concerned but disapproving look.

" The Ashlen I know would walk in late most of the time, and half asleep, and complains most of the times about longing to be tucked in bed with a bowl of any of her favorite foods on her nightstand."

"...Maybe she's turning over a new leaf?" Asami said slowly as both girls turned around to look over at Ashlen.

" Just what are you doing, young lady?" Mrs Aiko sharply asked as she stepped into the classroom.

" Good morning, Mrs Aiko," Ashlen said while respectfully bowing. " I was changing the date and re-writing the question more bigger so others can understand."

The teacher stayed silent, looking over at Ashlen, then at the chalkboard. A small but proud smile was on her face.

" What a way to take leadership, thank you, Ashlen!" The teacher praised. " You may go back to your seat."

Ashlen happily walked over to her desk, taking a seat and begins writing down in her notebook.

"...Yeah, I think we should ask how she's doing during lunch." Asami mumbled, while Hana nodded.

(End BGM)

(Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle OST-Back to School)

The lunch bell rang, and Ashlen happily sat down on the bench as Hana and Asami sat down between her. Both girls traded a look, before averting their eyes at Ashlen, who was munching on a rice roll while gazing up at the sky.

Hana nodded at Asami, who took a silent deep breath and looked up at the sky.

"...So...Ashlen..." Asami said awkwardly, but in a friendly tone. " How are ya doing...?"

" Very great~!" Ashlen replied sweetfully, throwing the last bit of the rice roll into her mouth. " I feel just so amazing!!"

" Yeah, about that..." Hana stepped in, meeting Ashlen's gaze. " To me and Asami, you seem too happy...and you've been acting kind of strange..."

" Erm...yeah, s-she's right..." Asami agreed, slightly anxious as Ashlen's smile disappeared and she met her friend's gaze. " It seems like you're not your usual self today. Did something happen to make you act like this?"

Ashlen stayed silent for a long moment, before looking away and seemingly forced out a laugh.

" W-What makes you say that?" She replied, wiping away a fake tear from her eye with her finger. " I told ya, everything is fine and dandy~! It could have not been better!"