Sheffield

“Bye guys, I’ll see you in a few weeks, I promise!” I say my goodbyes to Cameron and Jessie while getting into my car that I hardly use. Driving to Sheffield is going to take all day so I stop at Starbucks for a coffee. I walk into the store, half asleep and in jogging pants and a Jack Wills sweater. Not to mention my hair is in a messy bun on top of my head. I go up to the counter and am met with familiar brown eyes.

  “Hey, Talia!”

  “Joseph, hi!” I smile and we just look at each other for a few seconds. “Um, caramel macchiato please.” I say and he smiles. “Sorry, I look horrible, but-“

  “You look great, nonsense!” He says, making my drink. I smile at him and take it.

  “Thanks…” I mumble, placing the money on the counter. “Well I wish I could stay but I’m going up to Sheffield.” I say, pointing to the door with my thumb.

  “Oh, Sheffield, nice,” he says awkwardly and I nod.

  “Yeah, taking a few weeks off while Louis’ in Paris… but, I’ll be sure to grab a coffee on my way back so we can talk for a bit.” I say, smiling.

  “Great, see you in a few weeks! No, wait, give me a hug!” He says, ducking under the counter and pulling me into his arms.

  “Awe, I’ll miss you! We have to hang out. I’ll invite you over some night for a movie!” I say and he laughs.

  “Okay, I’d love to! See you soon!” I smile and leave like that. Joseph and I got close pretty fast. He’s like the only guy friend I’ve made since being in England, so it’s nice having someone to talk to. On the long, long drive to Sheffield, I blast Ed Sheeran, Cher Lloyd, The Beatles, Coldplay and some other British bands. My favorite type of music is the British kind obviously. I drive in long boring silence and then pull into my mom’s driveway.

  I knock on the door and about 20 seconds later the door opens. My mom’s brown hair appears and she steps out onto the deck. Wrinkles are visible on her forehead and she just smiles. “Talia?”

  “Hi, mom…” I say, smiling crookedly. I’m caught off guard when she pulls me into her arms and gives me a huge hug.

  “Talia, I am so sorry…” She whispers and I feel myself tear up. “I love you, and I wish I could take everything back…”

  “I love you too, mom.” I say, hugging her back.

  ----**----

  “You came a long way, huh?” Mom asks, putting a coffee down in front of me. I take a quick sip, nodding.

  It’s about 7pm now and I’ve been driving since 6:30. “A long way,” I say and she takes a seat across from me at the table.

  “I’m glad you did. I’ve been feeling like we need to talk for a long time.” I nod. “Your dad and I discussed this the other night. I realized how sorry I was for beating you all those years and I was going to call you tonight to have a talk, but you’re here…” She says, shrugging and taking a drink of her own coffee. I nod.

  “Yeah, I’m here!” I say, smiling. It’s all a huge shock that my mom actually is apologizing for all of this. It’s something that’s only happened in my dreams.

  “How’s Louis?” She asks, smiling at me. I haven’t seen her smile at me… forever.

  “He’s fine. They all left for Paris yesterday and I figured it was the perfect opportunity to come here.” I say and she nods.

  “How long are they there for?” She asks and I smile, drinking some coffee. It sounds like she actually cares.

  “A week,” I reply. “I thought that getting over the past was going to take a lot longer than just a day… I thought I was going to miss weeks of school, but just a few days sound fine to me.” I smile.

  “Yes, I don’t want you missing too much school. How’s it treating you?” She asks. So many questions…

  “Just fine,” I say. We talk about school for a while and I tell her about Louis. She’s interested in my life at Uni and how the girls are doing too. I notice that it’s getting pretty late so she puts some chamomile tea on the kettle and we keep talking. At about 10pm we’re finished our tea and we both head to bed. We discussed how I’ll be spending time with her until Wednesday then I’m going to go to dads for a few day. Only because dad and I have already built back our relationship and mom and I plan to do fun activities and sightseeing to bond again. I’ll be home Saturday night and I told Joseph to take a night shift so I can hang out with him for a few hours. By the time everything is planned I am finally asleep by 11pm. I dream about meeting up with Louis and the boys with Adrianna again and smile a lot.

  I wake up halfway through the night and get a drink. I can’t go back to sleep so I text Louis. I don’t know what time it is in Paris, but I don’t get a reply so slowly I drift back to sleep.

  I dream about fairytales and Louis like always. I dream that Lou and I are in Paris and on the Eiffel tower. You know things like that. When I wake up in the morning, mom’s downstairs cooking breakfast.

  She asks how I slept and I say fine. We have breakfast conversation and she says that today she’s taking me to a surprise destination… Exciting!