Chapter 20

Eight months later...

The soft tip-tap of her fingers flying across the keyboard of her computer was the only sound Lauren heard as she focused solely on her work. Dim voices barely reached her ears but she could only imagine what her co-workers were whispering amongst themselves. Several of them had cornered her after her third day back to work but she had refused to give them anything more to gossip about. Though what annoyed her the most was when she would leave her office to go to the bathroom, or go out to lunch, or to do anything really. It seemed like every set of eyes in the building was looking right at her and it made her skin crawl. Not wanting to give them the satisfaction that they were making her uncomfortable, she looked straight ahead and went about her business.

Not even her parents nor the police for that matter knew the full truth on what had happened to her all those months ago. She had been extremely careful to keep Eddie and Venom out of it and fabricated certain details until everyone was slightly satisfied with what she had told them. The first three weeks of being back in her old life had been a living hell. As her parents had had her move back home to keep a close eye on her. Though after that she finally put her foot down as they tried to convince her to stay. They came to a compromise though and allowed her to move into an apartment close by. The scar on her right shoulder gave a sudden painful twinge and Lauren knew that she should probably take a break.

Pushing away from her desk, Lauren folded her hands behind her head and looked up at the popcorn ceiling. Exhaustion clouded her thoughts and she honestly couldn't wait for her shift to be over so she could go home and take a nice long soak in the tub. Leaning forward in her chair, she glared at the document she was currently working on and silently wished that the damned thing would finish itself for her. Though a brief glance at the clock sitting on her desk showed that she had at least an hour left to her shift. Groaning, she silently massaged the back of her neck as well as her shoulders to try to relieve some of the stress that had accumulated from sitting at a desk for several hours.

Afterward, she pushed her chair forward and set a goal to finish the document before she left work today. Time passed by quickly and before she knew it an hour had passed by. Even though she was so close to having the document done, Lauren reluctantly saved it and started packing her things up so she could head on home. When a voice from the other side of her door called out to her. "Lauren, there's a guy here to see you." Muttering a few choice words under her breath about the bastard that was keeping her from going home. She then calls out to her co-worker. "Send them in please..." As those words resounded around her office it seemed whatever conversations that had been going on suddenly rambled off. Until the only thing, she could hear was someone's radio playing the song Graveyard by Halsey.

Folding her hands atop the other on her desk, she waited for this stranger to come into her office.  The sound of the doorknob turning had her looking up just as the door was opening. And she felt dread sucker punch her in the gut as she found herself looking at none other than Eddie. He offered her a Cheshire-Cat like grin before purring huskily. "We told you before sweetheart that we would drag you back kicking and screaming if you left us." The blood in her veins turned to ice at the threat and she scrambled out of her chair and put as much distance between them as possible in the small space. Feigning a hurt look, he then stalked towards her until they were nose to nose. In a futile attempt to keep some space between them.

Lauren placed her hands on his chest and vainly tried to push him away. Though to her dismay, he didn't budge an inch. She felt her anger start to reach a simmer as she responded angrily. "We had an agreement that you would let me go after six months!" The grin on his face turned feral as he took her hands in his in a bruising grip causing her to let out a pained whimper. He then snarled out. "But you didn't stay with us for the entire six months, now did you, sweetheart?" They stayed that way for several tense seconds before he finally released his hold on her hands and took a step back. Rubbing at her wrists, Lauren pinned him with a frigid glare and hissed vehemently. "I left because I saw a chance to get away, so I took it because I knew when the time came for me to leave that neither you or Venom would let me go!!"