Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

The door swung open and she felt her heart racing. Mikayla looked over at Jackson. But he didn't say anything. He just stood there, watching her. Her eyes darted between him and the book. She tried to focus on reading.

Just like the other books it was about a kidnapping. This was another book that she'd already read, though it was some years earlier.

Jackson's intimidating presence loomed over her. It made it damn near impossible to finish a single sentence of book.

Finally she turned to him and said, "Can I help you?"

A wide, mad grin crossed his face. He came inside and kicked the door closed. He moved towards her and suddenly she felt her nerves telling her to move. She scooted as far across the bed as she could.

The chain on her ankle limited her movement. Jackson sat at the foot of the bed and she sat near the head of the bed. She leaned against the wall, her legs stayed at an awkward angle, leaning slightly toward him. The sat in silence for a few minutes.

Mikayla was nervous. All of the emotions that she'd been holding back were starting to flood her. She bit her lip and dug her fingernails into her thumb to keep herself focused.

"Are you enjoying the books?" asked Jackson.

She looked over at him, confused. Was he seriously asking that? Her heart was racing.

"Oh yes, I'm really enjoying reading your notes praising or criticizing kidnappers," she snarked.

"Mikayla, I––"

"I don't care about you! I don't care about anything you have to say."

"You should care. And maybe if you didn't interrupt me you would care. I just want to love you and protect you."

"Protect me from what? There's nothing out there that's going to hurt me. At least nothing more than the usual things that hurt everyone else."

"You'll understand someday."

"No. I will never understand why you chose to kidnap me. I will never understand why you chose to commit a copycat crime. Don't copycats usually want the world to know what they've done?"

"Hardly," he snorted. "I'll know what I've done and that's really all that matters."

"Then what's the plan. Keep me in a small room and never let me see sunlight like the girl Austria? Ooo ooo! Or maybe you'll keep me in a coffin under your bed. Or are you gonna take me to England like Nori so I'm too far away to find?"

"Look, Mikayla, I don't have everything planned. But I'm gonna make this work. And I know you're upset right now and I don't blame you."

"You don't blame me for being upset about having my life stolen?" she asked with maximum sarcasm.

"We're both adults here, so why don't you relax and talk to me rationally."

"Rational went out the goddamned window when you kidnapped me."

"Look, I chose you. You're here. Nothing is going to change that. It doesn't matter how you act. I'm not going to let you go," he snapped. "So why don't you just be grateful that I felt you were worth protecting."

"And why was I worth protecting? According to your notes I'm weak. I'm not like the girls in these books. I'm not going to sit here and let you torture me or rape me or whatever it is you're going to do."

"I'm not going to torture you."

"Really because you didn't seem to against it even if you prefer it be used sparingly. Aside from my weakness what was it that made me stick out?"