Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Slowly, but surely Mikayla became complacent. Complacency had always been a fear of hers. But here, it was a survival tactic. If she didn't fight him, he would kill her. She wasn't going to be like the previous girl, Jenny Martin. He said he wanted to mold her into something else. But she wouldn't give him the chance. When she followed his directions he was kind . . . well, as kind as a psychopathic kidnapper and murderer could be.

She behaved. And because she behaved Jackson would grant her new freedoms. Then again, calling them freedoms neglected to mention that they were all just ways to remind her that escape attempts were futile.

It was nice to be allowed to use the home gym. She liked being able to run. But then he'd come in and lift weights, all of which were too heavy for her to lift. And yet he was moving them like they were nothing. This is why really buff guys scared her. One wrong move and he could crush her airways or break bones.

It was nice to wander around the house. But most doors were locked. And Jackson would often pop out of random hallways. He always knew where she was.

And it was nice to be able to ask for any book or movie she could possibly want and have it by the next day. But it was just another way to keep her complacent.

Freedoms in captivity were no more than Operant Conditioning. Every time she obeyed him she'd get access to something new with heavy restrictions and the ever present reminder than he was the one in charge.

Mikayla felt so helpless.

It was a cycle. The more she got used to obeying him, the more she felt like she had to keep doing it. Was her plan simply doomed to fail from the start?

No. She refused to believe that. All those other girls. They escaped. She would too. Even if it took her the rest of her life.

"Mina, wake up," said Jackson.

She rolled over. Today was one of those days that she'd love to stay in bed and not see his stupid face. 

"Can't I sleep in?"

"No, Nico and Marie will be here within the hour."

Mikayla groaned and rolled out of bed. She felt groggy and miserable. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Okay, don't stay in there too long."

She'd stay in that shower has long as she wanted. He'd been a bit more aggressive in his assault the previous night. And she'd drank quite a bit beforehand. It was the only thing that kept her going. She truly thought she'd have been out of here already, but she'd been here for over two weeks and she knew the statistics. Every day she was here pushed her odds of being found down even further.

Mikayla dragged herself into the bathroom and spent nearly a half hour showering. She shaved and deep conditioned her hair. She was on her period. No wonder she was a groggy mess. She knew that Jackson had pads under the sink. She remembers finding them when she searched the bathroom for a potential weapon. At least she didn't have to ask him to get one. That would save her some embarrassment for now.

She pulled her hair into a french braid, then wrapped it up in a bun. The last thing she needed was Jackson pulling on her hair. 

She took her time picking out something nice to wear. Jackson hadn't come back up. Had Nico and Marie arrived?

She didn't care. She was going to take her sweet ass time because time away from Jackson was rare when he wasn't upset with her. She was a highly social person, but right now she just wanted to cherish every brief moment away from him.