Chapter 31

Chapter 31:

"Who did this to you?" asked Detective Elise Wallace.

Mikayla took a deep breath. This was too real. There was no way this was a dream. None of her dreams of escape had ever gotten this far. This wasn't a dream. Her shoulders suddenly relaxed. All she had to do was say his name and she would be free.

"Jackson Danvers." The second the words were out of her mouth everything turned on its head.

Detective Jennifer Jordan left the room for several minutes and when she came back several minutes later. Mikayla was surrounded by security guards as she left the building. They'd given her a blanket to throw over her head if she wanted to keep her anonymity. But she was tired of not being seen. She was tired of being the anonymous girlfriend of Jackson Danvers.

She wanted to be Mikayla Walsh again.

As she stepped towards the police car the doors opened and Jackson was being escorted out in handcuffs. His eyes zeroed in on her and he looked angrier than she'd ever seen him. She grabbed the blanket and pulled it around her to block him from view. He wasn't in control anymore. She'd never let him be in control again.

She got into the Detective's car and waited in silence. She looked back out the window. Jackson was gone. But then she saw that Rachel was being escorted out in cuffs.

"Wait, why is Rachel being arrested?" asked Mikayla.

"Nico Porter pressed charges against her for the physical altercation. We didn't have a choice," sighed Elise.

She debated saying something about Marie, but decided it would be better once they were in the police station. Once she was safe, she'd make sure Rachel was okay.

Finally, Jennifer made it back to the car and they headed off to the station. She sat quietly in the back on the car unsure what to say. The drive was short and when they finally pulled into the station she was surrounded by so many people she didn't know what to do.

****

"Why am I here being questioned?" shouted Jackson, as he held an ice pack to his eye. "I was the one who was punched and yes I do want to press charges."

"We're just trying to figure out what's going on. We've got a lot of conflicting information," said the officer who's name he hadn't bothered to remember.

If Nico was smart he was getting Mina out of there.

There was a light knock on the door and the officer got up and opened the door. He stood there for a moment and then a woman walked in and said, "Jackson Danvers, you're under arrest for the abduction of Mikayla Walsh."

"What are you talking about?" snarled Jackson. Had that girl spoken up. No. She was too obedient. But that was the only way he was going to get arrested. When he got out of here she'd be in so much trouble.

He didn't say anything. That was the worst thing he could do. He just let them cuff him.

"Before you take me, can I just ask my friend, Nico, to call me a lawyer?" he said, pleadingly to the officer. He tried his best to pull out a look of concern. The officer must have been okay with it because he nodded.

He was guided out in cuffs. How humiliating. He wasn't some common criminal.

He kept his head down and his back hunch as he passed a small group he recognized. Suddenly, Nico came running toward him, Donna trailing behind him.

He looked at his friend pointedly. They'd known each other a long time and without words his friend knew what happened.

"Call my lawyer," said Jackson. Thankfully he and Nico had a back up plan. Nico would take care of everything.