Chapter One

This is the sequel to Puppy Love! You don't necessarily have to have read that book to understand this one, but timeline-wise it would make sense to read it anyway.

I've said in a couple of comments here and there that I wrote Puppy Love to be a feel-good, light-hearted, happy book for y'all to read! That's not the case with this one. :)

Enjoy! :)

Carter's POV

I was boring my date to death.

"So this is my son, his name is Ronan and he's only two years old," I gushed to the gruff man next to me. He grunted, which wasn't a response that encouraged more talking from me. So naturally I continued gushing. "He's turning three in a few weeks. He doesn't talk clearly, 'cause he's a bit delayed, but he's getting better each day!"

We were in a seedy bar, which was my date's idea. There was a bartender dressed in a low-cut shirt, the smell of cigarette smoke in the air, and a drunk dude in the corner who hadn't stopped staring at me.

What was my date's name? I didn't really care, I was mostly here for the free drinks.

It was Possibly Rory. Possibly Rory raised an eyebrow and grumbled, "Boy, is your son all you talk about?"

Rory was probably ten years older than I was, but that gave him no right to call me boy. I straightened my posture and shoved my phone screen in his face. "Look at the little angel. If you had a kid like him, you'd gush too."

Rory shrugged and leaned in closer. "All I'm saying is, I asked you to this bar for a reason. And a hot young thing like you can't be innocent. My place or yours?"

The drunk dude in the corner accidentally spilled his drink, making a loud clanking sound. I jumped a little and met his eyes. He ran a hand through his unruly brown hair and winked at me.

Considering even the drunk dude in the corner was significantly more attractive than Possibly Rory, and that all Possibly Rory had done in the past hour was grunt at my attempts to make conversation, I wasn't going to let the guy have his way with me.

"Actually," I said, clearing my throat. "I think I'm probably going to head home. This just isn't working out. Partially because you're way too old for me, mostly because you have no personality."

My snide comment made Possibly Rory's eyes flash, but I ignored it and sauntered out. Let him pay for the drinks.

Fuck that guy.

So much for, as my mom suggested, 'getting out of the house.'

I shivered at the cold air outside and wrapped my coat around myself. I had only a short walk to my car, thankfully.

My heart jumped as a hand wrapped around my arm and tugged me to the side harshly. I whipped around and gritted my teeth when I saw who it was. Possibly Rory hadn't given up yet.

The man tugged me into the shadows of an alley and shoved me up against the brick wall. "Listen here, boy," he growled, wafting his beer breath into my face. "I don't take insults from pretty boys such as yourself. I don't accept brats who play hard to get, either."

And then he was groping at me and I realized his intentions. I gasped and kicked out, but he was far more strong than I was. He pressed up against me and covered my mouth with one arm, fumbling to unbutton my jeans with the other.

I writhed around and tried pushing him off, to no avail. He managed to get his hand under the denim of my jeans and I struggled even harder. There was no fucking way I was going to let this happen to me, no way—