Chapter Thirty-Six

Carter's POV

Not that I didn't enjoy Italian food with James' mini family, but I was delighted to get him alone.

The second we hopped into the car, James nuzzled close to me and kissed my cheek. "Can we have our make-up sex right now? In the car? Please?"

I let myself fall into the comfort of being amused by my boyfriend. "You're a horn-dog. Let me take you home."

It was dark outside, but the streetlights reflected brightness of of moisture in James' eyes. "I missed home with you."

Despite being covered in toys and crayon drawings, my house hadn't felt like much of a home lately. It wasn't the same without James' underwear on the ground or his shoes in random rooms.

"I can't wait to have you back," I said.

Dinner had been torture, in a way, because I wasn't able to kiss him. I finally gave into the urge, leaning over and connecting our lips with a mixture of love and sensuality. The love coming from me, the desperate sensuality coming from James.

He broke away, pupils blown large and pulse beating quick. "Please. Make-up sex. Please. Carter."

I wanted make-up sex really badly. Especially when James reached down between my legs and palmed me in a way that sent shivers through my whole body. I found myself arching into his touch, hands like iron against the wheel.

"No," I managed to grit out. "Bad. Arm. Car."

"Are you having Englishing troubles, my love?"

He was being an ass, in that charming way of his, but I found myself blushing and stuttering because of my love. No man had a right to turn me into a pile of mush that quickly

He smirked. "You liked that."

"I'm driving now."

I really did start driving, because I would have absolutely given James head if I didn't. "I still have all your stuff," I admitted after a fraction of sexually-charged silence. "I hung onto it."

James' eyes went all soft and mushy. "You wanted me back from the very start, huh?"

"Don't get cocky, now—" He kissed my cheek. I melted. "Yeah, I missed you right away. I just...I guess, when it comes to Ronan, I overthink things. Or I get overprotective, or whatever."

James' hand found mine. I knew his eyes were searching for mine in the darkness. "I'm so sorry about Ronan. I can't believe I hurt him."

I usually tried to model good driving behavior for James, but I met his eyes and tried to convey how much I forgave him. "It was an accident. It won't happen again."

He was shaking his head before I could even finish my sentence. "No, it won't."

I didn't miss the tremble in his hand or the moisture that had come back to his eyes. It hadn't occurred to me that Ronan being hurt could have been just as traumatic to James as it had been to me. It also hadn't occurred to me that maybe that was a sign that James was good for me.

Pulling up to my house and getting out of the car was a break in the serious conversation. I glued myself to James' side, feeling especially clingy. I didn't know if that was because of his injuries or because I'd gone so long without him. Maybe a bit of both.

"Okay, I'm really not going to have make-up sex with you right now," I announced, earning a puppy-dog look from James. "C'mon, let's get cozy."

He followed me up to the bedroom. It felt right to have him in the space, almost as if it had become our bedroom, not just mine.