Chapter Thirty-Eight

Carter's POV

James was actually buzzing with excitement. He was sitting in the passenger seat of my car and he kept moving restlessly. He held my hand with the fingers that stuck out from his brandy-new cast.

"So would he be excited to talk about preschool?" James asked. It was like the twentieth question he'd asked about Ronan all day. "I know you said that he cried the first couple days, so you don't think that he would be sad and think about that, right?"

I tried not to laugh at how adorable he was being. "I think Ronan will be happy with whatever you talk about."

That made James perk up. "Really? You think so?"

"Of course. I think you're not realizing something," I laughed. "He asked about you all the freaking time. He's going to lose your shit when he sees you."

James smiled so bright that his dimples appeared. "Aw, man, that's so cute. I can't wait to see him."

It hit me, then, that James hadn't just missed me when we'd been broken up. My heart swelled with happiness that I not only found an incredible man who loved me, but a man who loved my son as well.

We pulled up into the driveway and James leapt out of the car. My mom's vehicle was already in the driveway, thank God, because I couldn't imagine James waiting any longer than he already had to for Ronan to get here.

Mom opened the door and spread her arms for a big hug. "Oh, James! I am so happy to see you again, honey! Come here, come here!"

James ran up and hugged her. Oh man. Maybe my choice had kept a lot of people who were obsessed with each other apart.

"I missed you so much, Marissa," James said, nearly picking her up off of her feet.

Mom kissed his cheek after they broke apart. "Well, I missed you too, kiddo. Oh— there he is. I can already see that the sparkle in his eyes has returned. You look so happy. C'mere baby, bring it in."

She was so embarrassing.

I groaned and hugged her anyway. "You just want to see me blush," I grumbled. "You think it's funny to tease me in front of James."

"Well, I can't pretend—"

"GAAAAAAME!" Ronan screamed, piercing everyone's eardrums. He ran full-forced to get to his beloved Game. James ducked down low and did a fantastic job of grabbing Ronan and lifting him with only one arm.

"I missed you so much, little man!" he gushed, kissing Ronan repeatedly on the cheek. "Look at how big you got! Did you grow ten inches?"

Ronan giggled. "No! Game, um, did you do a, uh, twip?"

I cleared my throat and waved to Ronan. "Hi baby! Nice to see you to, you brat. Let's not talk about James' long trip, okay?"

James made an understanding noise. "Ahh. Well. It was really fun!" he said, grinning at Ronan. Ronan was delighted by that, and he clapped his hands.

"I'll leave this happy family to get all settled in," Mom said, sending me a wink. "James, honey, Tuck and I have an extra bureau if you'd like it! I know Carter's bedroom doesn't have that much storage space."

"Oh God," I blurted before she could continue meddling with my life. "That's a conversation for later, right James? For me and James to have, Mom, geez."

She pinched my cheek and sent James a wink. "Just trying to be helpful! Love you both, okay? And goodbye to you, Mr. Sweetcheeks," she gushed to Ronan, smacking kisses all over his face.