two.

CHAPTER TWO:
THERE'S STILL TEARS LEFT TO CRY.
EL'S POV.

death is something that is said to bring things together.

that's at least what eleanor jane hopper, or better known as just el, thought for most of her life. yet, that was until she experienced first hand how death could also tear things apart.

the honey colored haired girl left new york years ago with her mother when her life started to fall into a billion little pieces. for the longest time, el blamed her father for everything. she thought he was the reason why her family couldn't stay together once her sister sara passed away.

it wasn't until many years later when she finally realized how terribly wrong she was. to be fair, she was so young... how could she ever have known that she drove off to indiana with the real reason she didn't have a family anymore.

you see, el was eighteen when she finally learned that her mother left her father not to run away from the pain from the loss of her sister... but to be with another man. she always had the oddest feeling about her mother's and step father's love story. the man also always seemed to know more about her than she'd ever mentioned. once she connected the dots, the teenager packed up everything she owned and found a rundown apartment far away from her mother on the other side of indianapolis.

it's messed up... really messed up. but in all honesty once she left her mom she finally felt... free. she ended up graduating highschool with 4.0, completed her bachelors in art at purdue, AND found her lovely roommate max mayfield. max is definitely more than a roommate though, more like the best friend that she couldn't ever live without.

but even with her life being as perfect as it is right now, she still felt guilty. she felt guilty for leaving her father behind in new york. she felt guilty because she had no idea how he was doing. she felt guilty because even after everything she found out, she still couldn't find the courage to reach out to him.

so maybe that's why the brunette is spending her friday afternoon sitting in her car, listening to the peaceful raindrops hit her windshield as she ponders one of the biggest opportunities to ever to come her way.

el was an artist, one of the best artists indianapolis actually. not only did she devote her entire life to finding a way to turn her passion into a stable career but she actually has been offered a few small opportunities around the city in the past. a few of her works have been published in various different newspapers, local museums and she even had pieces featured in a local documentary someone shot just a year ago.

with that being said, you can probably imagine how happy and terrified she was when she got a letter in the mail this morning offering to have one of her pieces honored during a ceremony at the metropolitan museum of art in new york city. of course she was a lot happier than she was terrified... but new york?

new york meant... her dad. she couldn't go to new york without seeing him. she'd never forgive herself if she didn't at least try to.

what would she even say? "hey sorry dad i blamed you for our lives falling apart for more than half my life even though it was actually mom's fault because she's a terrible selfish human being. that's besides the point, anyways let's hang out?"

ugh, it's so utterly complicated...

✦✧✦✧

"oh my gosh, you've been gone for like two hours. i was starting to think someone kidnapped you or something." the fiery read head greeted her when she finally returned home that evening.

the small girl carefully placed the few grocery bags she held on the kitchen counter. "i'm sorry, i got caught up. here, i got you this. think of it as an "i'm sorry i took so long at the grocery store" gift." the brunette smiled as she handed over a starbucks cup to her best friend.

el never understood why the redhead preferred to order hot tea at starbucks. personally, she was more of a coffee person. to each their own though.

"thanks." max smiled but quickly changed her mood once the cup was fully in her grasp. "sooo why are you upset? you can't fool me with that fake ass smile. i know something is up."

el plopped down on the plush velvet couch. max always knew when something was bothering her. it was like the two had twin telepathy or something. "i got a letter in the mail today. an offer really... to have one of my pieces be honored at the metropolitan museum of art." she sighed as she stirred her carmel macchiato with her straw.

"OH MY GOD EL THAT'S HUGE!" max nearly screamed, walking over to sit with her friend on the other side of the couch. "wait, so why is that a bad thing?"

the short haired girl rolled her eyes, "do you even know where that is? it's in new york maxine."

a confused look crossed her best friend's features before the issue finally clicked in her brain, "oh - ohhhhh ellie, i'm sure your dad would love to see you. i mean it wouldn't hurt to at least try to reach out. you two are family. maybe he'll let you stay with him so you don't have to get a hotel room over there, ya know."

"i dunno, i'm just so scared. he probably hates me by now." the brunette could feel small tears start to form at the edge of her eyes.

"don't say that. he can't hate you for a decision you made when you were literally like what eight? nine? ten?" the redhead fumbled with her words, making el smile through her tears. "whatever it's besides the point. just call him."

"okay, but what will you do when i'm gone? i know ima have to stay there for at least a few months to get everything prepared." el looked at her with sad eyes, not wanting to leave her best friend alone for so long.

"we both know i've been alone for a long time before. plus will and dustin live just down the hall. i'm sure they can keep me company for a while. then when your ceremony happens we'll all fly over there to support you." max smiled. the duo had met will and dustin right when they moved into their apartment a few years ago. ever since then they all became best friends. truly, they were more like the family el never had.

"are you sure you won't kill them while i'm gone?" the small girl giggled, knowing her best friend is known for having quiet the short temper.

"i won't make any promises but i can at least tell you i'll try my hardest not to." the redhead laughed as she made her way back to the kitchen. before she started unpacking the grocery bags, her best friend couldn't help but to jokingly remark. "maybe you'll find a husband while you're away in new york. i can't live with you forever you know?"

"oof, won't happen. remember, i don't believe in love maxie." she brushed off the comment before joining her friend in the kitchen again to help with the bags.

"well if you can't find yourself one, at least try to find me one. okay?" she concluded, making the pair fill their apartment with laughter.

---

a/n: thanks for reading!!