eleven.

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
STAY WITH ME.
MIKE'S POV.

for probably the first time ever, lucas's idea was actually the one of best ideas he's had in quite awhile. this was only because once the trio had made it about three minutes into their car ride, the brunette sitting in the deep red passenger seat cushions next to mike had officially tipped over the edge.

of course, drunk el was fun but sleepy drunk el? that's a completely different story.

"i can do it by myself, mikey. i don't need your help." the small girl slurred, attempting to drag herself out the dark bmw once they arrived at the boy's apartment.

the freckled faced boy rolled his eyes before completely ignoring her request, gently grasping her hand to lift her out of the low vehicle. never in a million years did he expect that nickname to ever come out of her mouth. "so i'm mikey to you now? what happened to mr. successful writer boy?"

"you're still mr. successful writer boy." she slowly informed, taking a moment to smooth out the dark fabric beneath her before reaching up to boop the lanky boy's nose. "you're just mikey the successful writer boy now."

mike bit the inside of his cheeks, slightly praying that the rustic street lights next to them were dim enough for her not to notice the blush that was starting to burn over his features. the boy was about to tease her even more, until he was interrupted by a very irritated version of his best friend.

"if you two could please stop fucking flirting, i wanna go to bed and you have the keys mike." lucas shouted from the top on the stairs that lead up to their brownstone apartment, his arms crossed close against his chest as he squinted down at the pair mindlessly still standing on the sidewalk.

if it was possible to die of embarrassment, mike would have right there in that moment.

yet, the flirting comment didn't seem to register to el. that or she was just too tired and drunk to care. "relax, we're coming grumpy." the brunette muttered as she started to make her way up the steep steps. mike quickly rushed to lock his car, trailing close behind the small girl to make sure she didn't fall.

it didn't take long for everyone to stumble inside, lucas wasting no time in abandoning the pair and shuffling to his bedroom.

"you can uh... sleep in my room. i'll just sleep on the couch out here. i'll get you some extra clothes though." mike cleared throat awkwardly before adding, "uhh... follow me?"

the raven haired boy gently grasped her hand, leading her further into the large apartment and to his bedroom. mike could admit, he was slightly thankful for the fact that she was so drunk. otherwise she'd be completely aware of how cautious and nervous he was acting. but instead the brunette was completely unbothered, her honey orbs wondering as she plopped down on the dark mattress.

"um are these okay?" the writer questioned as he turned around from his dresser and held up one of his old college shirts and a pair of sweats for the small girl to see, to which only earned him a giggle from the drunk artist sitting on the edge of his bed.

"you know you're kinda cute when you're all concerned." the short haired girl hiccuped. "your eyebrows get all scrunched together."

this time mike knew there was no hiding the fact that his face was a fluorescent shade of scarlet. however, he still couldn't help but to shake his head in disbelief. "sober you would be so ashamed with the fact that you just called me cute."

"see that's where your wrong, mikey. i'm completely fine." el remarked as she slowly pushed herself up off the plush mattress and reached for the fabric in his hands. "plus i know sober el thinks you're very cute. she's just too scared to admit it."

mike raised a brow at her response, but decided to not question it. there's no way he was about to get his hopes up. nope, not when it's just the alcohol talking. "yea... um sure. how about you go change now, huh?"

the small girl did as she was told, stumbling a bit as she made her way towards the connected bathroom. mike had just enough time to quickly slip into something more comfortable as well before the el abruptly stepped into view again, trying her best to not trip as she made her way back towards the mattress in the center of the room.

the writer carefully helped her get comfortable, tucking her small body the dark grey comforter as she weakly sank into the cushions.

before the raven haired boy could even try to attempt to turn around and leave the small girl alone, she caught his wrist. "stay with me."

mike could have sworn he was dreaming. he had to be, right? of course in a perfect world, the boy wouldn't have even questioned her request. he would simply slid into the soft sheets, wrap his gentle arms around her small frame and never let go.

however, he knew he couldn't. she wasn't herself right now... no matter how many times she claimed she was. the freckled faced boy would never be able to forgive himself if he were to take advantage of her in this moment. there was also no doubt in his mind that if he tucked himself in right next to her... she would not only kill him in the morning, but she'd never ever speak to him again.

it wasn't the right time... no not yet. 

"i can't, el. i'll be right outside that door, okay? you'll see me in the morning." he reassured her, slowly trying to release his hand from her grasp. yet, her grip on his wrist suddenly tightened as a frightened look crossed her features.

"i don't wanna be alone, mike. i'm not good with being alone." the small girl panicked, weakly attempting to pull his body closer to the edge of the bed. unfortunately, she was too tired and the alcohol left in her system was slowly starting to fuel her anxiety by the second.

the raven haired boy sighed, looking around his room aimlessly to come up with a some kind of logical solution. "um... will it make you feel better if i slept right here?" he asked shyly, motioning to the floor beneath them.

"here..." the brunette rolled over carelessly, tapping the empty space on the mattress next to her. her voice was sad, like she was on the verge of tears. he had no idea where all these emotions were coming from but it took all the courage in the world for mike to stay exactly where he was.

"i - i really can't, el. i'm so sorry." he informed her quietly, shifting back and forth on the heels of his feet awkwardly. oh, how he wished she was sober.

she probably wouldn't want him in the same bed as her if she was sober though.

the brunette sighed sadly before guiding his hand to up to her cheek, shamelessly leaning into his palm. "you'll be right... there?"

the raven haired boy allowed himself to run his thumb along her cheekbone, trying to be as gentle as he possibly could. "right here. i promise."

el didn't say anything as she reluctantly let go of his hand, watching intently as the lanky boy carefully leaned over her to grab the unoccupied pillow next to her and moved across the room to turn off the light. he continued to collect a few blankets from his closet and laid them as close as he could next to mattress, shifting uncomfortably as he tried to get situate himself on the wood floor.

they sat in silence for awhile... long enough for mike to think el had already fallen asleep. but that was proven wrong once he heard her whisper ever so quietly into the dark.

"thanks for caring about me, writer boy."

---

a/n: thanks for reading!!