fourteen.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
NOT GOOD WITH BEING ALONE.
EL'S POV.

from the moment sara passed away, el hated being alone during storms.

for the most part, the memories el shared with her late sister were bittersweet. it took years, but over time the honey orbed girl had forced herself to appreciate the small amount of time they had shared together rather than dwelling on all the missed experiences the universe completely cheated her from.

deep down, she wanted to be strong because she knew how much her sister used to sacrifice for her just to make sure she was happy. but of course, it was difficult not to be selfish when healing.

for some reason, it was always the precious vivid flashbacks of her beloved starry eyed sibling slipping into the sheets next to her in the middle of the night, the delicate blonde allowing the brunette to rest her head on her chest while the zeus screamed in the sky that made her despise each individual raindrop that mocked her as they tapped against her window. it hurt to have that constant reminder each time the sky decided to cry. in all honestly, even after all these years... it hurt so much more than she would like to admit.

and tonight was no exception.

unfortunately her father had gone out for drinks with jacob, the big boss behind new york times and everything to do with the biography lucas and mike were writing. at first, she truly didn't care that he was leaving her completely alone on a saturday night. however, that was only until she started to hear the distinct rumbling in the distance, her tiny frame immediately feeling the need to curl up next to someone who would make her feel safe.

the brunette sighed before dragging herself and the deep red blanket she currently had wrapped around her off the plush grey couch located in the center of the living room, gently holding the fabric close to her body in attempt to calm herself down. she quietly made her way to the kitchen, stopping once she had successfully made it to the fridge.

back in indianapolis, max would always keep two tubs of emergency ice cream stored away for situations like this. there was no doubt the fiery red head always knew that when el was sad, the best way to cheer her up was through either chocolate ice cream or frozen eggo waffles.

but sadly, that memo was not passed onto her father.

the small girl couldn't help but to slam the fridge door shut out of pure frustration, sending a measly stack of papers her father had hanging on the appliance's metal surface floating down to the floor. el weakly sank down to her knees, the fuzzy blood colored fabric cascading around her as the room illuminated with another flash of lighting.

the artist mindlessly rummaged through the paper, most of them being newspaper clippings, some old photographs and even a few bills she assumed would have to be paid sometime soon now. honestly, she was about to throw the papers on the counter and waltz herself back to her position on the couch to sulk in her misery.

that was until she noticed the smallest sticky note attached to one of the newspaper clippings, two phone numbers written neatly across small light blue square. el stared at the piece of paper for a second, the smallest smile forcing itself onto her features as she delicately ran her thumb along the various different numbers next to mike's name.

after her stay at the two boy's fancy nyc apartment, the writer had definitely started to grow on her. especially after him visiting her in her studio last night, let's just say she had never felt that comfortable around someone... well... ever. she'd never admit it but over the past week she found herself looking forward to his random visits, smart comments and stupid dreamy curls.