Chapter 5

He was a man full of surprises. He seemed to be the type that loved to make other people happy; Amelie knew she was both surprised and happy when she entered that ice-cream shop. It was twice as big as her apartment and the colorful walls and the smiles of the people working there filled her with joy. On both sides of the store were showcases of ice-cream, all possible flavors and colors. It looked like heaven. Mads Mikkelsen did take her to heaven. 

''This is paradise'' Amelie's mouth was watering as she looked around in awe. 

''I told you. They have amazing pistachio and butter pecan caramel flavors, but all of them are good, I'm sure'' Mads was pleased with the girl's reaction. Sometimes, when she unconsciously licked her lips and breathed heavier, he wished that he could take her to his...other...kind of heaven. God, he had to mentally slap himself for thinking like that; he barely knew the girl. ''Tell me, Amelie, what do you want?''. 

She looked at him a bit longer than usual, wanting to tell him something flirty, the one word she had in mind - ''you''. The young girl hated the fact that she thought that way of a man she had just met. A man who she barely knew.  

''As much as I'd love to taste all of them, I think I'll have a mocha and one almond fudge'' Amelie looked at the nice girl behind the counter who nodded her head. 

''Don't worry, we'll come back and you'll get to taste everything'' he said. We. He talked about the two of them. He wanted to go there with her again. The two of them. ''I'll have one chocolate brownie and one pistachio'' he smiled. 

After eating their delicious desserts they went out only to realize it had started snowing again. It was below zero, but the way the big snowflakes melted as they touched Mads face gave Amelie a feeling of warmth, making her forget all about the cold. 

''You want one?'' Mads asked as he lit a cigarette and hid under the roof of a store. Amelie just shook her head. 

There was something about him that made the young girl keep looking at him, he had a mysterious aura. He sucked the smoke out of that cigarette with such passion and at times he looked as if he had a million thoughts going through his head. 

There was nothing she wanted more than to grab her Polaroid camera from her bag and take a picture of him

There was nothing she wanted more than to grab her Polaroid camera from her bag and take a picture of him. He was handsome, too handsome. But before he caught her staring at him, Amelie looked to her left at the busy street. There were so many cars, some honking, some parked illegally. There were so many people, all of them probably rushing home from work. Some of them had their umbrellas, hiding from the dense snowflakes, and it made Amelie wonder why some disliked snow so much. It was such a beautiful thing, to see the delicate, frozen water drops fall down so elegantly. 

''What are you thinking about?'' Mads finally said, breaking the silence. 

''How much I love snow'' Amelie responded as she looked up to the darkened sky and let snowflakes hit her warm face. Mads just stood there and looked at her, questions running through his mind. How was she so passionate about everything? How could someone be so sweet, so loving of everything around them? Why did she have to be so beautiful? 

''Aren't you cold?'' he asked as he finished his cigarette and stepped out into the falling snow again. 

''No, not really'' she smiled before reaching for her purse to grab the camera. The snowflakes kept intensifying so she had to take a picture of the lit up city covered in fresh snow. ''The city is absolutely beautiful'' she said as she waited for the picture to slowly come together. 

''I agree'' he looked up and closed his eyes, face covered in a few drops of water that were once snowflakes; he looked angelic. ''Let's take you home'' he smiled as he looked down at her, catching her staring at him. Her nose was red, eyes twinkling, lips rosy. 

Nodding, she placed her Polaroid camera back in the bag and together they headed towards Mads' car. 

''Do you want to keep the picture?'' Amelie asked as Mads drove. 

''Are you sure you don't want to keep it?'' he seemed happy to be asked that. 

''Of course, I can always take many more. You can take it. I'll put it in the glove compartment''. she answered. 

''Thank you. I'll put it somewhere where I can see it every day. Maybe my fridge'' he smiled. 

''You don't even have to put it in sight, you can do whatever you want with it''. 

''Please, you have a really good eye for photography. It's a pleasing photograph to look at'' he averted his eyes from the road to look at her for a quick second. ''We're here'' he said. 

''Thank you for taking your time to show me Toronto and for driving me home. I appreciate it'' Amelie gave him a genuine smile. 

''It was my absolute pleasure, Amelie''. 

She sat in silence a few seconds and pondered over if she should ask him the question. One simple question. It didn't really mean anything, it was in an amicable way. ''Do you want to come in?'' she finally asked. 

He didn't answer immediately. He too seemed to ponder over that question. ''Thank you, but I have to head home''. Embarrassment took over Amelie as she looked down at her fingers. What if he thought badly of her now? ''Christopher wants to take me to see this landscape where we can possibly film a few scenes, and he wants us to go very early in the morning'' he explained. Amelie sighed in relief after hearing his reason for not coming in. ''He says it's beautiful there, at sunrise''. 

''Oh, I bet it is. Make sure to take some picture with your phone, I'd love to see what it looks like'' she got ready to leave the car. ''I'll see you tomorrow at work. Sleep well, Mads'' she placed a strand of hair behind her ear. 

''Goodnight, Amelie'' he said softly. It had only been two days since they met, but she knew by now that her name between his lips was one of the most beautiful sounds she had ever heard. His voice was silky, deep and soft, as soft as she sun at sunset on a summer's day.