Chapter 15

After a few amazing days in Italy, the couple arrived back home. They both missed Venice, but it felt good to be home too. As Amelie sat on the sofa with her laptop on her lap, she couldn't help but laugh at Mads running around, trying to unpack his bags as if he was competing in who could do it faster. 

''You're weird'' she said laughing. 

''What? Why?'' Mads continued running back and forth. 

''What normal person unpacks as soon as they come home? Like, everyone ignores their bags for the longest time after a vacation and you start unpacking barely ten minutes after getting home?'' Amelie laughed as she continued watching the weird, handsome piece of art in front of her. 

''Everyone else is weird, I'm the normal one'' he said proudly with a cute smile on his face. 

''Trust me, you got it all wrong''. 

''Hey, stop laughing at me'' he approached her as if he was about to tickle her, but instead he placed a sweet kiss on her lips. ''Mmm'' he moaned softly, realizing he needed more than a peck. Grabbing Amelie's face, Mads tasted her lips passionately, taking her by surprise. 

''Why hello'' she smiled after breaking the kiss. ''More of that please''. 

''I know you like it'' he teased by licking her lower lip. ''Now let me get this, my phone's been vibrating for the longest time'' he chuckled as he grabbed his phone from his back pocket and left the room. Weird, Amelie thought, he didn't use to leave the room to speak on the phone. 

Half an hour later Mads was still in the other room, so Amelie decided to go see if something was up. When she got to the door she realized that he was still on the phone. ''No, of course I do, you know I do, but...'' he sighed, ''...but there's something you need to know and I don't think I'm ready to tell you what it is yet'' he paused and Amelie decided not to enter the room. She felt guilty for listening to what seemed to be a very private phone call, but it all felt so suspicious and she couldn't go away. Who was he talking to and what was he talking about? ''Thank you for understanding, you're the best. I'll call you tomorrow'' he told the other person. When Amelie realized he was done, she quickly tiptoed her way back to the living room. 

''Who was it?'' she smiled, trying hard to not overthink. 

''Someone in my family. So, are you gonna join me or am I gonna unpack by myself?'' he changed the subject. 

''I'm not touching that bag today, sorry'' she laughed, going back to her computer, the phone call in her mind. 

*

Amelie was getting ready to join Mads in the shower, ready for that hot water to touch her skin but even more ready for him to touch her. But right before taking her robe off, there was a knock on the door. Rolling her eyes, she headed towards the door wondering who it could be at 9 in the evening. 

She opened the door to see a young girl, maybe 17 of age. ''Uhm, hi, is my dad here?'' she asked. 

''Oh, I'm sorry, I think you've got the wrong address'' Amelie said smiling. 

''No, I've been here so many times before. Who are you anyway? His step daughter?''. 

''What? I really think you're at the wrong door'' Amelie tried her best to be respectful towards the stranger in front of her. 

''Oh my god, I just wanna know if dad is home'' the younger girl rolled her eyes, obviously impatient. 

''Listen, it's only me and my boyfriend, Mads, here. I don't think your dad is here''. 

''Sara'' Amelie heard Mads' voice from behind her. 

''Dad, finally. Hi'' the girl at the door looked at Mads and gave him half a smile. 

''Wait, what?'' confusion and shock took over Amelie as she looked at the girl named Sara and at Mads. What the fucking hell was going on? ''Mads, who is this and why did she just call you dad?''

''Dad, is this your girlfriend? Is this what you said you wanted to tell me but weren't ready to yet?'' 

Mads looked at the two girls in front of him and had no idea whose question to answer first or what to say. It was obvious that both of them wanted immediate answers. 

''Mads, this girl called you dad several times now. Can someone explain what's going on?'' Amelie's heart beat fast in her chest as she tried to keep herself calm. If the girl was who Amelie thought she was, why didn't she know about her? 

''Sara, Amelie, let's talk'' Mads gestured for them to sit down and the girls did. ''Amelie, this is my daughter Sara."

''Are you kidding me?'' Amelie's disappointment grew stronger and stronger with each second. She wasn't disappointed that he seemed to have a daughter, she was disappointed that he kept such thing away from her. "Like, your biological daughter? How come you've never told me you had one?" 

''That's something we can talk about alone'' he looked down at his feet, knowing he fucked up big time. ''Sara, you've probably realized by now that this is my girlfriend.'' 

"She could also be your daughter

"She could also be your daughter. What are you, 20?" Mads' daughter rolled her eyes once again. "Jesus, dad, you can do so much better." 

''Hey, don't talk like that. Show some respect, will you?" 

Amelie just sat there in absolute shock, her eyes watery, weight on her chest. He was a liar. Who would hide such a serious thing from their partners? "I'm leaving" she got up, went to change clothes, grabbed her phone, purse and the unpacked bag and headed towards the door. 

"Please, stay. I'll explain everything."

''You could've done it from the beginning to avoid this embarrassing, disappointing situation. Liars are not my favorite type of people, Mads. I'm leaving," Amelie's eyes were slowly getting more blurry from the tears forming, and before leaving, she looked at the father and daughter in front of her, sighing. 

"Stay" he spoke slowly, but she didn't want to deal with that bullshit. The girl was his daughter, for fuck's sake. Who keeps a secret like that? 

"Goodbye."