Six - From Safety To Sorrow

Oracus, Garrin and the two creatures descended sooner than Oracus had expected. Initially, the dense Raspian Forest was all they could make out beneath them in the darkness. But before long, the forest was replaced by flat, empty grassland, and the horizon surrendered dozens of hazy amber lights.

As they approached the lights, Oracus's anxiety peaked. What had at first been a few innocuous lights in the distance turned out to be a place far greater than Thessley. It was a magnificent city like those he had read in his storybooks. From such a height, he could see almost all the city beyond its colossal outer-wall. There were hundreds of buildings, mostly made of yellow stone, but some towards the rear of the city that were wooden and thatched like those in Thessley. Between the buildings, the bustle of city-folk was impossible to miss, even in the darkness. There were markets and stalls in every spare space, and the occasional lonely tree growing out of the sandy ground.

The Eagle descended with Oracus, Garrin and Bandor towards an opening in the wall that was protected by a moat, drawbridge and portcullis. When its claws met the ground, Oracus looked up at the archers who manned the top of the wall, and then he peered down into the ominous black water that separated him from the city. He slid from the Eagle's back and placed Bandor on the grassy floor, then started to wretch.

He felt Garrin's gentle hand on his back. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine," Oracus said. "It's all come as a bit of a shock, that's all."

"Take a deep breath and try to relax. We'll stay here until you're ready."

Behind Oracus, the sound of flapping metal wings began, and the Eagle took flight and glided over the wall, leaving Oracus, Garrin and Bandor alone. In the next moment, the chains of the drawbridge started to crank along with the rise of the portcullis.

"I think I'm ready," Oracus said, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

"Come on then," Garrin urged. "Follow me."

Oracus cradled Bandor again, and when the drawbridge clunked to the ground, he cautiously followed Garrin across. The archers were now aiming their arrows down at the bridge, and Oracus felt another pang of sickness. Beyond the opening portcullis, an elderly man in a green robe waited.

"I found him at last," Garrin said to the man as they approached him.

"I was starting to think that you wouldn't return," the man responded.

"It was a close one. The soldiers had reached the village." Garrin nodded his head at Oracus. "And this brave fool was defending it all by himself."

The man in green turned to Oracus, then his eyes dropped to Bandor. "Goodness gracious!" he exclaimed. "Another Lavorian! You didn't say your friend was a Rider too, Garrin."

"I didn't actually know," Garrin replied. "It seems I'm not the only one from Thessley who's good at keeping secrets."

The man's eyes were glistening with emotion as he held out a shaking hand to Oracus. "It's very nice to meet you, young man. You are very welcome here in Afarra."

Oracus took the man's hand but couldn't find the words to respond. The man had just called him a Rider, and he could feel the shock taking over his body again.

"Do you mind if we pass through?" Garrin asked the man. "This is all very new to him and I want to get him to safety as quickly as possible."

"Of course, of course!" The man moved aside to let them by. "It's such a pleasure to have you here. Enjoy your stay."

Beyond the portcullis, Afarra was full of life. The market stalls Oracus had seen from the sky were even more abundant than he had realised. And the noise that the many people made was cacophonous.