Twenty-Six - A Walk And A Kiss

The next few weeks were a blur.

After Farlog had suggested Oracus may be the difference in the war, Oracus began to train with more focus and desire than ever. If Tallarin needed him to be their weapon, he would ensure he had complete control over his power, and he would train until he was as prolific with a sword as he could be. If he could prove his commitment to the rebellion, then maybe the likes of Wilos, Dyma, Croij and Quent would be more accepting of him too, and less likely to believe he would stab them in the back.

So all his time was spent either practising his power, wielding his sword, or shooting his bow at targets in the training area, while he relentlessly exercised his connection with Bandor's mind. Kivali and Shio were the perfect partner and tutor during sparring sessions, and Oracus learned more in a few weeks than he had throughout the rest of his life.

And because of their endless time spent together, Oracus and Kivali's relationship reached new heights. Oracus had never felt so comfortable with someone, not even Garrin, and he woke up each morning with an eagerness to get to the training area and see her.

On a day when the rain fell and the training area under the palace was heaving with civilians who had nothing better to do, Oracus found Kivali's hip with a particularly quick strike of his sword. She cried out in pain, but hit back with a thrust of her own that nearly found Oracus's gut. Oracus teleported away and Kivali followed him, and they traded more blows that echoed off the high ceiling.

"Know when to retreat and when to hold your ground!" Shio's shout came loud and clear, and Oracus took several steps backwards.

As Kivali advanced towards him, Oracus asked her a question he had been meaning to for some time. "Would you like to take a walk with me tonight?" he suggested.

"A walk?" she asked, not hesitating and aiming a fast attack at his shoulder.

Oracus blocked the strike and then evaded the next. "It doesn't matter," he said nervously. "Forget I said anything."

"Where to?" she probed with interest, stepping forwards again.

"I don't know. Around the city maybe."

"You-mean-like-as-a-date?" She thrust at him with each word she spoke.

"Well, I mean, I guess so," Oracus said sheepishly as he offered his own attack.

Kivali squatted low beneath Oracus's sword and swiped his legs from under him. He landed hard on his back, and she planted her foot on his chest. A gentle smile crossed her face. "I would really like to go for a walk with you," she said happily.

Later that day, Oracus knocked on the door to Kivali's room in the palace. For the first time in a while, he had tried to comb his hair.

"Hold on," came her voice from the other side.

When the door opened, Oracus's mouth dropped open. Kivali was wearing a blue dress that matched her eyes, and it embraced her body perfectly. Her sparkling blue shoes helped her stand a few inches taller and her dark hair was full of curls.

Oracus kissed her on the cheek. "You look amazing," he said.

"That's very kind of you to say," she replied. "You look pretty good yourself."

"I thought we could go to the workshop before our walk," Oracus suggested. "I know you're probably used to it, but I quite enjoy watching the Sashtrams at work."

Kivali agreed and they strolled together along the corridor until they reached the staircase. When Kivali linked her arm in Oracus's, goosepimples rose on his skin.