Twenty-Five - Visions And Evil Grandfathers

"Is it him?" the deep voice rasped.

"No."

"You forget I am in your mind, Catania. I know when you're lying."

"It isn't!" Catania enforced, trying without success to hide her weakness.

"He looks like you though, don't you think?"

Catania shook her head helplessly, desperation seeping from her pores like the tears from her eyes. She leaned on the white dresser beneath the mirror and stared at her reflection. Her hair wasn't Princess-like anymore, it was as messy as when she'd been held captive in Melzor. Her skin was dry and flaky, and it itched as terribly as her muscles ached. And her eyes were no longer their usual colour, but a fiery crimson instead.

"Don't you like the way you look?" the voice provoked.

Catania lifted a marble ornament off the dresser and smashed the mirror into a thousand glittering pieces. Immediately, blood as red as her eyes began to run down her arms. "I just want you to leave me alone!" she cried.

"But we made an agreement," the voice reasoned. "You cannot go back on your word."

"But I can't keep doing this," Catania argued. "It's betrayal."

"Betrayal?" the voice repeated fiercely. "Betrayal was when you left Melzor. Betrayal was when you built an army to oppose mine. Betrayal was when you killed hundreds of my men in an attempt to dethrone me!"

Catania clutched her head as the intensity of the voice rose inside her skull.

"The boy is a Rider too, is he not?"

"No," she denied.

"Do not lie to me!" the voice thundered, its power enough to make her bones tremor.

"Okay, he is," Catania conceded.

"And does he know he's your son?"

"You've watched him through my eyes. You can see he doesn't know."

The voice remained silent for a few seconds, as if in thought. Then it spoke on, "I want you to tell him."

Catania sobbed. "Why would you want me to do that?"

"Because he will be desperate to get to know you," the voice explained. "And when he spends time with you, I will begin to understand him."

"Understand him for what purpose?"

"He's my grandchild, Catania. Must I have a reason?"

"You do nothing unless its for your own gain."

The voice cackled evilly. "Maybe I would like to build his trust so he can help me to rule this land. Perhaps he would be more willing than you were."

"I doubt that," Catania argued.

"Then I would force him to assist me," the voice said nonchalantly. "Do you know what his power is?"

"No, I don't."

"I sense you're lying to me again."

"I just told you I don't know."

"WHAT IS HIS POWER?" The voice came so loud and harsh Catania felt like her head might explode, and she threw her hands up to cover her ears.

"He can copy the powers of other Riders," she yielded.

"He can what?"

"You heard me," Catania said tersely.

"Oh, my, my, my!" the voice said, unable to suppress its obvious glee. "Catania, why did you keep this a secret from me?"

Catania's stomach churned inside her, and a sickness suddenly rose to her throat.