Thirty - Past And Present

Frost sparkled like crystals on the fine spring grass. It was early morning and the sun had barely risen above the rooftops. There was still a chill in the air that nibbled Catania's fingertips.

The streets of Melzor were empty at such a time, and Catania skipped and hummed happily. She was heading for the farmyard to see Padaquin, the farmer's son. He was handsome and charming and older, so she made the trip as often as she could. But such escapades she had to keep a secret, because if her father found out, Padaquin would likely be killed.

Catania was eighteen years old, and Padaquin twenty-two. His age was what attracted Catania to him most, she thought. Or perhaps it was his chiselled muscles and gruff voice. Or maybe his green eyes. Whatever it was, his company made her happy. It was such a pleasant change from being in the presence of her father.

"Good morning," she said shyly from the doorway of the barn.

Padaquin looked up from the cow he was milking. "Back again?" he said. "You must be trying to get me in trouble."

"I'm not," she said quickly. "I just wanted to see you."

Padaquin smiled despite himself, and Catania took that as her cue to enter.

"Have you been here long?" she asked.

"Couple of hours," Padaquin answered, back to milking.

"Can I help you with anything?"

"You can feed the chickens," he suggested.

Catania stepped carefully across the barn and sprinkled a handful of grain into the chicken coop. Then she tiptoed back.

Padaquin laughed. "Task completed like a palace girl."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're far too worried about getting your shoes dirty," he teased.

"If I go home covered in muck then my father will know where I've been," she argued. "And I doubt that would end well for you."

Padaquin's eyes twinkled like gemstones, like they always did when he made her mad. Catching sight of them made her heart flutter.

"So where does he think you are today?" Padaquin asked.

"He doesn't think I'm anywhere," Catania replied. "He's with his Dragons. Probably hatching a cunning plan of some sort."

"Time that would be better spent providing for the people in his city."

"You don't think he provides for his people?" Catania asked.

"He lives comfortably in his palace while my father and I have barely enough coin to buy grain for the chickens."

"You wouldn't leave Melzor though, would you? So it can't be that bad."

"I would leave if I had the money," Padaquin answered seriously.

"Well I have money," Catania said, surprising herself with what she was insinuating.

Padaquin looked quizzically at her. "Are you suggesting we run away together?"

Catania blushed a deep red. "What if I am?"

"I'm not sure that would be a good idea."

"Why not?"

"Because if you disappeared then every soldier in Pharia would be sent to search for you," Padaquin said. "We would always be looking over our shoulder."

"But you would consider it?"

Padaquin fixed her with a serious glare and then turned his back to feed the pigs.