Twenty-Three - Alvoria

Alvoria was a city only a few miles south of the Raspian Forest, and within a stone's throw of the expanse of water known as Bulu Lake. It was so small, it appeared to be more a village than a city, and when Garrin scouted it with Aquila, it had been remarkably unsecure. He hadn't witnessed colossal walls and vast lines of defences, with turrets manned by hundreds of archers. Instead, he had seen a few wooden buildings built upon a deep mine full of explosives, with only a hundred soldiers stopping him from wreaking havoc.

It would have been easy for Garrin to fly back to Afarra and allow Torvanon to decide how they should proceed. After all, he had only been sent there to observe. However, Garrin was keen to prove himself to Torvanon, and by destroying Alvoria singlehandedly, he would undoubtedly do that.

At daybreak on the day following his and Aquila's arrival, a large cart was drawn towards Alvoria's gate by two horses. Using Aquila's incredible sight, Garrin could see the cargo was stored in barrels, and that's when he seized his opportunity.

"This is our chance," he said to Aquila. "Let's go."

In a smooth movement he had made a thousand times before, he grasped the reins around the Eagle's neck and swung a leg over her back. Then Aquila took off and the wind whipped Garrin's blonde hair back and forth across his face.

When they had ascended to several-hundred feet, Garrin's stomach lurched.

"You're nervous," Aquila pointed out.

"Not of being so high," Garrin explained. "I just don't want to mess this up."

Beneath them, the horse-drawn cart looked miniscule. It was like an ant approaching the entrance to an anthill.

"Now is our time," Aquila stated. "Prepare your arrow."

Garrin took both hands from Aquila's reins as she hovered carefully. He gripped her back tighter between his thighs and then pulled an arrow from his quiver. With a match, he lit the arrow, and then nocked it to his bow.

"Are you ready?" Aquila urged.

"I'm always ready," Garrin fired back.

Aquila tucked her wings into her sides and dived towards the city gate at speed. This time, flying was what caused Garrin's stomach to lurch.

As Aquila came to a hover again above the city wall, Garrin could hear the frightened shouts of the alerted guards. He drew on his bowstring and released the arrow at the cart.

His shot was true, and the fiery arrow pierced a barrel. Within a second, the cart exploded, and a ball of flames rose up into the sky. The heat from the explosion singed the hairs on Garrin's face, and Aquila retreated to a safer distance.

"That was close," Garrin said, rubbing his cheeks.

"But it worked," Aquila replied. "Look!"

Where the cart had been passing through the city gate, a huge hole had been made in the wall and a dozen buildings nearest the explosion had been destroyed. A fire raged, and it swept through the city hungrily.

Many of the guards had died to the explosion, but the rest were screaming orders to their comrades in the hope of finding some organisation. Garrin and Aquila descended into the city and found a spot free of fire and smoke, but it soon became clear the enemy soldiers sought that area too.

Garrin loosed several arrows as the enemy approached, he then alighted Aquila and drew his sword.

"Keep them worried about what flies above," Garrin ordered. "I'll fight them off from down here."